Milton Car Insurance
(Don't pay more than you have to for a great policy)
Vehicle owners in Milton are required by Massachusetts state law to have car insurance. From fender-benders on Brook Road to serious collisions on Interstate 93, a solid auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing large financial losses as the result of an accident.
Finding the best and most affordable car insurance can be easy if you work with an independent insurance agent. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Milton, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is slightly higher than the national average. Comparing rates from a variety of insurance companies enables you to get your policy at the lowest possible price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
These averages can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs can vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are based on several specific factors. Your quoted price can be influenced by such things as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving record
- Your claims history and credit score
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The size of your deductible
You can typically get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance. Many insurance companies also offer other money-saving benefits like safe driver discounts and good-student discounts.
Contact an independent agent in Milton to learn more about potential discounts you may qualify for and to easily review customized quotes from a variety of highly rated insurers.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Massachusetts?
Every state has its own minimum coverage requirements for auto insurance. In Massachusetts, all car insurance policies must include liability insurance, personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, and uninsured motorist insurance.
Liability insurance is designed to cover other people’s damage and medical bills if you cause an accident. However, because Massachusetts is a no-fault state, the injured party’s personal injury protection insurance will offer the first line of coverage for incurred medical bills.
The bare minimum coverage that your Milton car insurance must include is at least:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
Drivers in Milton have a lot to lose. That is why many opt to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits. Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even more liability coverage than their auto insurance policy can provide.
Your local insurance agent can help you find the personal injury protection and liability coverage you want at price you can afford.
What Else Can Milton Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, your car insurance provider will also offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Milton auto insurance policy. These include:
- Collision insurance: This is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, even if the accident was your fault. This coverage is not required by law but it is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing.
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision event like a flood or hailstorm. This coverage is not required by law but it is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle or by dealerships if you are leasing.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This is designed to cover the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are away from home, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to cover the gap between what your car is worth and what you currently owe for it in the event that it is totaled. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be particularly valuable during the first year or two of new-car ownership.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options is a good fit for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Milton?
Driving without insurance in Massachusetts is illegal. If caught, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI). As a result, you can face penalties that include:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- The loss of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
- Incarceration for up to one year
Because of these harsh consequences, this state has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the country:
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
If you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you for medical costs that exceed your PIP coverage and for damage. However, this money can be extremely difficult to collect, especially if the at-fault driver simply has no money or assets.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can you receive timely compensation without the need to take legal action. After compensating you, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed from uninsured driver, and will absorb the losses if unsuccessful.
Does Milton Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of Massachusetts is lower than the national average. And in Milton, the rate is even lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 10 vehicle thefts every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Milton auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.29
Though the risk in this city is low, it is important to be aware that you can only get compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in another non-collision event like a flood, garage fire, fallen tree, or vandalism.
Talk to an independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to include comprehensive coverage in your Milton car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Milton Help You?
You can ask a local independent agent for help when you are looking for the ideal auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for an insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Milton to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.