Hanover Homeowners Insurance
(How to find a policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs)
The historic town of Hanover is home to about 15,000 people. This self-proclaimed “country town” offers residents small-town living coupled with modern conveniences. If you are among the proud property owners in Hanover, a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy can protect the investment you have made in your house.
When you are looking for the best insurance coverage for your Hanover home, a local independent agent can help. If you are ready to get answers to your insurance-related questions and begin comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes, contact an independent insurance agent near you.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Hanover Homeowners?
In addition to covering your house and property, home insurance also provides you with personal liability protection. This liability insurance is designed to cover expenses such as court costs, legal fees, and financial damages if you are sued for any of a number of common covered events.
Examples of times your homeowners liability insurance can cover you include:
- If a visitor is severely injured in an accident while on your property
- If you, your child, or your pet causes significant injuries or property damage to someone outside your household
- If you are accused of libel or slander
- If you accidentally cause injuries or damage to another while away from home such as while playing softball at Forge Pond Park
If you want more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, an independent agent can also help you secure an affordable umbrella insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about what homeowners liability insurance can do for you.
What Are the Risks Faced by Homeowners in Hanover?
Home insurance can cover you against a wide range of potential risks ranging from property theft to severe weather events. You will want to make sure that you have enough insurance to fully cover the structure of your home (dwelling insurance) as well as the property within it (contents insurance).
Here are the stats on the most recent catastrophic events in Massachusetts:
- Number of federally declared disasters in Massachusetts: 54
- Most common reasons for disasters in MA: Severe storms and hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Massachusetts: 1.4
- Average amount of property damage per year in MA: $808 million
- One in fifteen insured homes has a claim each year
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover against most of the damaging risks you are likely to face as a homeowner in Hanover. This includes coverage against hazards like accidental fires, property crimes, freezing temperatures, and severe weather events like hurricanes and hailstorms.
What about Flood Damage in Hanover, MA?
It is important to know that homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Those with property near waterways like Ben Mann Brook, Wildcat Creek, and Drinkwater River are most at risk, but when hurricanes and storms bring heavy rains to the area, flash flooding can happen just about anywhere.
Property owners with houses in designated flood zones are required to carry flood insurance if they still are paying off their mortgage. For others, it is optional. Even if you are not required to carry it, purchasing flood insurance may be a wise decision. FEMA reports that more than 20 percent of the flood claims filed are for properties that are outside of flood zones.
Flood insurance can prove invaluable. According to FEMA, just one inch of water in your home can cause up to $25,000 in damages. Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining how much property coverage is appropriate and to discuss your options for flood insurance.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Does Hanover Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national rate, and in Hanover, the rate is even lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report an average of 15 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Massachusetts: 2.82
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Hanover: 0.97
You may take some comfort in knowing that in the event you are the victim of a burglary, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any resultant damages to your home. Be sure to keep a copy of the police report because you will need it when you file a claim.
Your local insurance agent can offer guidance and support throughout the claims process if you need assistance.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Hanover, MA?
Home insurance rates in the state of Massachusetts are higher than the national average. In Hanover, rates tend to be even higher. This is due in part to the number of high-value homes in the area. Let’s look at some numbers:
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Massachusetts average yearly premium: $1,379
- Hanover, MA, average yearly premium: $1,548
Your actual home insurance quotes are likely to differ from the average rate listed above. This is because costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis and can be based on several factors including:
- The size of your home, the year it was built, and the materials used in its construction
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g. single-family detached house, multi-family home, condo, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks in the ZIP code where your house is located
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing rates lets you choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the best price for the coverage you want. Independent insurance agents in Hanover make comparison shopping easy.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you own a weekend cabin in the woods. Or perhaps you own a house down in Bridgewater that you rent out to students at BSU. Regardless of their purpose, if you own extra houses, they need to be covered by the right insurance policies.
A house that is not your primary residence has added risk factors that insurance providers will take into consideration when they calculate your costs. In some cases, these extra properties may need to be covered by different types of home insurance. For example:
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year have an increased risk of sustaining significant property damage due to severe weather, animal activity, and property crimes. These houses will typically need to be covered by vacant home insurance during the times that they are not in use.
- Second homes that serve as rental properties have higher liability and property damage risks, but require less in the way of contents coverage. Landlord insurance provides the right balance of coverage for rental homes and may be required by your insurance provider if your property is occupied by tenants.
Talk to an independent insurance agent for help finding the best and most affordable policies to appropriately cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Hanover, MA?
When you work with an independent insurance agent, you can easily find the best homeowners policy to cover your Hanover home. These agents are free to work with several different insurance companies so they can shop around to find you the coverage you need at a competitive price.
Contact a TrustedChoice.com independent insurance agent in or near Hanover to learn more. You can soon be comparing customized home insurance quotes from an assortment of highly-rated insurance providers.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.