Springfield is the third-most populous city in western New England with a long and proud history. With over 150,000 residents in this city, there are many homeowners who protect their homes with a Springfield, MA homeowners insurance policy. You can find a policy that meets your needs by contacting a local independent insurance agent in our network. Contact one of these insurance agents today to find Springfield home insurance quotes and get your house insured.
Number of Catastrophes in Massachusetts
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Massachusetts: 140
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Massachusetts: 2
Don't be fooled by the non-existence of weather-related damage in Massachusetts. You will want to ensure that you are protected against disasters such as floods and storms that can happen anytime. Contact your agent for advice on getting Massachusetts homeowners insurance.
Number of Thefts in Massachusetts
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Massachusetts number of burglaries: 30,735
Burglaries are less frequent in this state than the national average, but you should still be sure to get a Massachusetts homeowners insurance policy that protects you against the possibility of a burglary or theft.
Homeowners Insurance Policy Coverage
As you shop around, you will find that most available Springfield homeowners insurance policies provide coverage for the following items:
- The structure of your home, which may also extend to detached buildings, such as a garage or shed, for specified perils
- Your personal contents, subject to specified coverage limits
- Liability coverage for bodily injuries or property damage for which you are liable
- Additional living expenses while your house is repaired
- Medical expenses for injuries
Methods of Insurance Reimbursement for a Claim
A Springfield homeowners insurance policy will generally provide you with one of two choices for reimbursement for a claim, as follows:
- ACV (Actual Cash Value): This is provided in most homeowners policies and will reimburse you for the cost of the item(s) being claimed, but will assign a depreciated value
- Replacement Cost: This is an optional form of reimbursement offered by most insurance companies that reimburses the current market value of the item(s) being claimed
The majority of homeowners insurance policies will provide coverage for your contents, up to 50 percent of the total insurance coverage you carry for your home. To ensure you have sufficient insurance on your contents, you should perform an inventory of what you own and determine how much it would cost to replace everything after a total loss. Your Springfield homeowners insurance policy will likely have a maximum amount of coverage for certain valuable items such as artwork, collectibles, antiques, and other expensive or priceless items. So, if you own an item that is valuable, you may have to purchase additional insurance to fully cover it.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Massachusetts
When you decide to purchase Springfield homeowners insurance, it may be helpful to understand the average costs other consumers are paying for their coverage. Here's some data to consider:
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Massachusetts yearly premium average: $1,150
- 11th most expensive premium in the US
With a higher than average yearly premium rate, Massachusetts residents need to ensure they are protected by having a comprehensive Massachusetts homeowners insurance policy. Your Springfield homeowners insurance policy will be based some or all of the following factors:
- The material used in the home’s construction
- The age of your home
- Local fire protection availability
- The amount of insurance coverage on your home
- Your deductible
It's a good idea to review the amount of coverage you have every few years to ensure you have sufficient coverage, as it's likely your home and property appreciated in value over time.
Additional Insurance Coverage
A Springfield homeowners insurance policy does not protect your home against every natural disaster. Damage caused by flooding or an earthquake is usually specifically excluded, in fact. Ask your insurance agent about the risks you face in your area, and what additional policies you may need to purchase to cover these other types of natural disasters.
How to Reduce Your Premium
You can reduce your premium in several ways. You can increase your deductible, which will lower your premium, but keep in mind that a higher deductible will leave you with higher out-of-pocket expenses after a loss. Some insurers offer discounts if you bundle your homeowners policy with your auto, boat, or ATV coverage, for example. Also, some insurers offer discounts if you’ve installed a security alarm system or a sprinkler system to protect your home. Ask your independent agent what other discounts you qualify for to get the savings you need.
Where to Find a Springfield Homeowners Insurance Policy
As there are many insurers that offer homeowners insurance, it might be tricky to weigh your options. You may find yourself calling or clicking around all day trying to get "apples-to-apples" comparisons. You can find a policy that best suits your particular circumstances by contacting an independent agent in our network. An independent insurance agent can help you find a policy and provide a variety of competitive Springfield home insurance quotes for you to compare quickly and easily.
Contact an agent today so you can find a policy to protect your possessions and your home.