More than 25,000 people call Walpole, Massachusetts home. If you own a house in this historic New England town, you can protect the investment you have made in it by purchasing a suitable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent agents are free to work with several different insurers. This means they are able to shop around to find you a reliable policy at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing a variety of homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Walpole, MA?
On average, home insurance rates in the state of Massachusetts are higher than in most other states.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Massachusetts average yearly premium: $1,488
Your actual home insurance cost is likely to differ from the average rate listed above. This is because prices are based on several factors such as the following information.
- Your home’s age, value, and size in square feet
- The type of house you are insuring (e.g., single family detached, multi-family home, condo, rental property, tiny house, vacation home, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks where your home is located
- Your claims history and credit score
- The size of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or ATV insurance
Reviewing an assortment of customized homeowners insurance enables you to choose the policy that offers you the best value.
What Hazards Does Walpole Homeowners Insurance Cover Against?
Your home insurance policy is designed to cover losses related to most of the risks you are likely to face as a property owner in Walpole. You can expect your policy to reimburse you for the following issues.
- Property crimes: This includes losses related to burglaries, and damage caused by vandalism and arson.
- Fires: This includes fire damage caused by outside forces like a lightning strike or by accidents such as an out-of-control kitchen fire, faulty wiring, or an unattended candle.
- Harsh winter weather: This includes damaging events like heavy snows and ice accumulation, which can damage roofs and gutters, and prolonged freezing temperatures, which can lead to burst pipes and water damage.
- Severe storms: This includes hurricanes, tropical storms, windstorms, thunderstorms, and hailstorms.
You will want to be certain that your coverage limits are high enough to enable you to fully rebuild your home and replace all of your belongings if your home is destroyed by a major disaster like a fire. It is a good idea to review your coverage limits every few years to ensure they are sufficient.
A Word about Flood Damage in Walpole, MA
Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. This is true even if the flood is the direct result of a covered hurricane or tropical storm. According to FEMA, just one inch of water in your home can cause as much as $25,000 in property damage.
FloodFactor.com has identified 227 properties in Walpole that have a significant risk of sustaining flood damage. They estimate that flooding in this town results in an average of $85,500 a year in property damage.
Fortunately, you can supplement your home insurance with a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). These policies enable you to purchase up to $250,000 in structural coverage and $100,000 in contents coverage so you are protected against losses caused by floods.
Flood insurance policies take 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until a hurricane is on the way to purchase your policy.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is Loss of Use Insurance?
Residents of Walpole of a high risk of sustaining hurricane and tropical storm damage. This town has been impacted by 33 hurricanes since 1930.
Significant damage from a covered event like a hurricane or a structure fire can render your house uninhabitable until repairs are made. If this happens, the loss of use coverage in your homeowners insurance policy can pay for your temporary living expenses.
Loss of use insurance is designed to cover things such as the following.
- Hotel or rental accommodations
- Meals if your accommodations do not include a kitchen
- Pet boarding
- Temporary storage
- Moving costs
- Extra mileage if your need to drive further to get to and from your job
Your loss of use insurance coverage can continue until your house is brought back up to code and you can return to it, or until you have found a different permanent home to move into.
How Does Having Liability Coverage Help Walpole Homeowners?
In addition to covering your property, homeowners insurance provides a significant amount of personal liability protection. This can prove quite beneficial if you or someone in your household is unintentionally responsible for causing others injuries, property damage, or financial losses.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover expenses like court costs, legal fees, mediation fees, settlements, and judgements if you are sued for a covered event.
The following are some examples of times this liability coverage can prove beneficial.
- A guest in your home is seriously injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence on your part.
- Your child accidently damages your neighbor’s valuable property while playing baseball with friends.
- Your golf ball hits and seriously injures someone while you are enjoying a day at the Royal Crest Country Club.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a pedestrian.
- You find yourself being accused of libel or slander.
If you have a lot to lose and want even more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, you may want to consider supplementing your homeowners policy with umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to boost all your liability coverage.
What Is the Burglary Risk in Walpole, MA?
The burglary rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national rate; and in Walpole, the risk is even lower. Residents of this city reported 25 burglaries in 2019.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Massachusetts: 2.01
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Walpole: 0.99
Although your risk is relatively low, you should know what to do if you are the victim of a burglary. If your house is broken into, the first thing you should do is make sure that you and your family are safe, and then notify the authorities.
Once you have a copy of the police report you will be able to file a claim with your homeowners insurance company so that you can be reimbursed for your property losses as well as for any damage done to your house.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents want to help you find the best and most affordable policy to cover your Walpole home. These agents are not tied to a specific insurance provider so they can shop around to find you the coverage you need at the most competitive price.
It won’t cost you anything to talk to an independent agent. Set up an appointment with an insurance agent near you to discover how easy it can be to obtain and compare customized homeowners insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.