A suburb of Minneapolis, Burnsville is home to more than 60,000 people. From its urban downtown area to its bedroom communities, Burnsville has something to offer everyone. If you are a property owner in this rapidly growing city, you can protect your investment with a solid homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Burnsville home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized quotes from a variety of highly rated insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Burnsville, MN?
The good news for those looking for home insurance coverage in Burnsville is that the average cost for coverage in this city is lower than the state average, albeit higher than the national average.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Minnesota average yearly premium: $1,348
- Burnsville, MN, average yearly premium: $1,277
Of course, rates can vary significantly from the averages listed above. Actual home insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The type of house you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached, multi-family, condominium, manufactured home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers you the best coverage at the lowest price. Independent insurance agents in Burnsville make comparison shopping easy.
Does Burnsville Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Burnsville.
Catastrophic Events in Minnesota
- Number of federally declared disasters in Minnesota: 47
- Most common causes of disasters in the state: Floods, severe storms, and wildfires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Minnesota: 45
- Average amount of property damage per year in MN: $897 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Burnsville are most at risk for damage caused by residential fires, severe storms, hail, high winds, heavy snows, freezing temperatures, and property crimes. Fortunately, all of these risks are covered by standard homeowners insurance policies.
You will want to be sure that both your dwelling and your contents coverage limits are high enough to enable you to fully repair, rebuild, or replace in the event of a disaster. A local independent insurance agent can help you review all your property coverage to ensure that it is sufficient.
What about Coverage against Floods in Burnsville?
Floods pose a significant risk in the Burnsville area. Unfortunately, many property owners do not discover until it is too late that flood damage is not covered by homeowners insurance.
Residents who live in designated floodplains near the Minnesota River are most at risk, but when winter snows melt and heavy rains fall, drainage systems can become overwhelmed and flash flooding can occur just about anywhere in this city.
According to FEMA estimates, just one inch of rainwater in your home can result in as much as $25,000 in damage. Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Flood insurance backed by the federal government can provide homeowners with up to $250,000 in structural coverage and $100,000 in contents coverage. A policy through a private insurer may be able to offer more coverage but will likely cost a lot more.
Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until heavy rains are imminent to purchase a policy. Talk to a local independent agent about your flood insurance options today.
Why Do Burnsville Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
If you ever happen to find yourself facing a liability lawsuit, things can get very expensive, and large financial losses could potentially cause you to lose your home. That is why all home insurance policies include personal liability coverage.
While chances are good that you will never have to use your homeowners liability insurance, it may give you some peace of mind just to know that it is there for you.
This insurance is designed to cover the various expenses that you may accrue if you are responsible for injuries or damage related to a covered event. Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- A visitor in your home is injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence on your part.
- You accidentally injure someone while away from home, such as while jet-skiing on Crystal Lake.
- Your child breaks your neighbor’s picture window while playing ball with friends in your backyard.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a pedestrian.
- You are accused of libel or slander.
If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance provider will allow, your agent can also help you obtain a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is an affordable way to boost all your liability coverage.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Does Burnsville Homeowners Insurance Cover Against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Burnsville is higher than the state average but lower than the national rate. Residents of this city report close to 200 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Minnesota: 2.88
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Burnsville: 3.02
Being the victim of a property crime can be very stressful. However, you may take some comfort in knowing if your house is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for the loss of your belongings and any resultant property damage.
You can lower your risk of being targeted by criminals by taking precautions such as making sure that all doors and windows are securely locked, keeping entryways well-lit and unobstructed, and putting lights on timers whenever you are away.
The most effective theft deterrent is a burglar alarm. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have installed home security systems. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by talking to a local independent agent.
What about Coverage for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you have a vacation house in a warmer climate where you and your family like to spend the summers. Or perhaps you own a property in nearby Minneapolis that you rent out to young professionals.
Regardless of their purpose, if you own more than one home, you will need to cover each of your properties with an appropriate home insurance policy. Sometimes, this means that specialized coverage may be necessary:
- Vacation homes: These houses are frequently left unoccupied for long periods throughout the year. If this is the case with your vacation home, you will have an increased risk of break-ins and property damage. Vacant home insurance may therefore be required by your insurance company during the times that the house is not in use.
- Rental homes: Houses that are occupied by tenants have higher liability and property damage risks than primary residences. However, the property owner will also have lower contents coverage needs since tenants are responsible for covering their own property with renters insurance. These houses require the specialized coverage offered by landlord insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your residential properties and can assist you with finding the best and most affordable policies to insure each of them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Burnsville, MN?
The easiest way to find the best homeowners policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need for your Burnsville home.
Independent agents in Burnsville are ready to help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.