The construction industry in New Mexico is booming. This is particularly true in Albuquerque, where new home construction, infrastructure maintenance, and expansion projects are constantly in progress as the city planners work to meet the needs of a growing population. Construction insurance shields the companies that complete theses jobs from undue financial losses so that they can remain profitable.
If you are looking for comprehensive insurance for your Albuquerque construction company, an independent insurance agent can help. These agents can work with multiple insurance companies as they search for the best and most affordable policies to meet your business coverage needs. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
What Is Construction Insurance?
Construction insurance is a package of business insurance policies that have been tailored to meet the specific coverage needs of companies in the construction industry.
A well-built construction insurance portfolio can protect your company’s finances by covering financial losses caused by hazards you are likely to face as a business owner in Albuquerque. Independent insurance agents can review your company’s various exposures with you, and can help you find the right policies to cover against them.
Construction Companies in Albuquerque Need Liability Coverage
Liability lawsuits have the potential to bankrupt your business if it is not properly insured. That is why business liability coverage is arguably the most important part of any commercial insurance policy. Liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if your business is liable for a covered event.
There are many types of liability coverage available to your construction business. These include:
- Contractor general liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries and damage caused by your business. This is typically required by customers before they will hire you to do a job.
- Commercial vehicle liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries and damage caused by accidents involving your company-owned vehicles. It is required if your business owns any vehicles.
- Employment practices liability insurance: This covers your business against accusations of illegal business practices such as discrimination, harassment, or wrongful termination.
- Environmental liability insurance: This covers clean-up costs and damage if the work your construction company does leads to the accidental pollution of the land, air, or water.
- Umbrella insurance: This can significantly boost your liability coverage limits.
Talk to a local independent insurance agent to learn more about these and other commercial liability products that may be of benefit to your Albuquerque construction firm.
Albuquerque Construction Companies Need Property Coverage
Your construction company probably owns a lot of expensive property. This includes tools, machinery, equipment, and materials. Construction insurance can cover loss or damage to this property that may happen due to hazards such as severe weather events, fires, and theft.
Commercial property insurance can cover business property that is kept where your company is located. This includes office furniture, computers, tools, and equipment. If you own the building in which your business is housed, this insurance can also cover structural damage if it is caused by a covered hazard like hail or wind.
Of course, construction jobs are performed on-site. This means that the bulk of your tools and machinery will need to be transported and often stored away from your business location. Inland marine insurance can cover your high-value portable property when it is in transit to or from the job site, at the job site, or in storage.
You can make sure that your business property is fully covered by working with a local independent insurance agent.
Construction Workers in Albuquerque Must Be Covered by Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Workers’ compensation insurance is designed to cover the costs associated with workplace injuries. Since the construction industry is one of the most dangerous industries, coverage is mandated for all industry employees, regardless of the size of your business.
This insurance covers the cost of medical treatment, follow-up care, and medications if an employee is injured on the job. It can also provide coverage for lost wages through disability payments. In the unfortunate event that an injury is fatal, the employee’s family will be eligible for death benefits through the plan.
An independent insurance agent in Albuquerque can help you find an appropriate and competitively priced workers’ compensation insurance policy.
What Else Can Albuquerque Construction Insurance Cover?
There are other types of coverage that an independent insurance agent can help you include in your construction insurance policy package. These include:
- Surety bonds: Construction contractors cannot legally operate in this state without first posting a $10,000 contractor license bond. Your agent can help you secure this other other bonds, if needed.
- Business interruption insurance: A covered natural disaster could potentially force you to halt operations for an extended period. If this happens, business interruption insurance can provide a continuation of income until you can resume working.
- Insurance products for employee benefits: If you want to provide your employees with benefits packages that include subsidized health insurance and life insurance, there are many products available to choose from. An independent insurance agent can help you determine which are good choices for your company.
Independent insurance agents with experience building business insurance policies can help you identify all your construction company’s exposures and can help you make sure that you have the right insurance to cover against them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Albuquerque, NM?
Building a comprehensive business insurance policy package for your Albuquerque construction company can be complicated. Fortunately, you can get assistance from a local independent agent. These experienced insurance professionals are aware of the risks faced by business owners in this city, and they can provide guidance and advice when you are shopping for coverage.
Because they are independent, these agents can work with multiple insurance providers to help you find the coverage you need at a competitive price. If you are ready to start comparing customized quotes for construction insurance in Albuquerque, contact an insurance agent near you.