Getting the right car insurance is crucial for residents of Freeport. New York winters are notoriously unpredictable, and for many drivers, heavy traffic in the state's most populated areas pose an additional challenge. Even the safest drivers can be involved in an accident. You need an auto insurance policy with the right combination of coverage that also meets New York's minimum insurance standards.
When you work with an independent insurance agent, you'll get the one-on-one service and attention you need to make decisions about your auto insurance. Your agent can help you understand the state's laws, and they can even recommend additional coverage to minimize accident-related losses. Get started finding the best possible auto insurance today with an independent insurance agent in Freeport.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Freeport, NY?
Average car insurance premiums in New York cost somewhat less than the national average. Even so, taking the time to shop around for the best possible rates allows you to get the most coverage for your money.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- New York average annual car insurance cost: $1,235
The quotes you get from various insurance companies will vary from each other and from the national and state averages. Each insurance company uses a different algorithm to calculate rates. Your quotes will be based on some or all of these factors:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
You could be eligible for discounts if you bundle your homeowners insurance or renters insurance with your auto policy. Your agent can help you get all of the discounts offered by a specific insurance company.
What Does Freeport Car Insurance Cover?
Your auto policy is a combination of optional and mandatory coverage. As a Freeport resident, you'll have to comply with New York's rules about the amounts and types of insurance you carry. You'll need liability coverage, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist insurance.
If you have a loan or lease, your bank may also require you to carry additional coverage for your vehicle. Your insurance provider may offer these types of coverage:
- Liability insurance (Required): This coverage pays for other people's injuries and damage to their property if you cause an accident. Your policy must include:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $10,000 per accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) (Required): This coverage pays for medical expenses incurred by you and your passengers as a result of an accident, no matter who is at fault.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (Required): This coverage pays for damage to your property and your medical bills after an accident caused by someone who doesn't have insurance.
- Collision insurance (Partially optional): This coverage repairs or replaces your vehicle after a covered accident if it's damaged in an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance (Partially optional): This coverage repairs or replaces your car if it's damaged or lost in a flood, fire, or another non-collision event.
- Roadside assistance and towing (Optional): This coverage pays for the help you need if your vehicle breaks down and you need to be towed to the nearest repair shop. It also helps you get back on the road if you lock your keys in your car, run out of gas, or get a flat tire.
- Rental reimbursement coverage (Optional): This coverage pays for the cost of renting a car if yours is in the shop after a covered accident.
Your agent can help you decide how much of each type of coverage works best in your insurance plan.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Freeport?
Driving without insurance and failing to provide a valid insurance card to a police officer when asked are illegal in New York. If caught, uninsured drivers can face the following:
- Penalty of $150–$1,500
- The loss of your driver’s license and vehicle registration
- Impounding of your vehicle
- $750 fee to reinstate your license
New York has fewer uninsured drivers than the average across the country. Even so, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is a required part of your auto insurance in New York.
- US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- New York drivers who are uninsured: 6.1%
Since you are required to carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, you are covered if you are in an accident with someone who doesn't have the right auto insurance. With this type of coverage, there's no need to go through lawyers to get compensated for your losses.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Freeport?
The auto theft rate in New York is lower than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.37
- New York auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.49
While the risk of having your car stolen in New York is slim, if you are the victim of auto theft you'll need comprehensive auto insurance to get compensated for your vehicle. This optional coverage also handles damage from fires, fallen trees, and hail.
Your bank or auto dealership may require you to carry comprehensive auto insurance if you have a lease or loan. This "other than collision" coverage can be a useful addition to your policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Freeport, NY?
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best car insurance policy for your budget and location. These insurance professionals can explain your options and make sure you get the best insurance for your money.
Discover the benefits of working with a Freeport independent insurance agent. Reach out to a local insurance agent and start comparing customized insurance quotes right away.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.