A suburb of Charlotte, the city of Gastonia, NC, is home to nearly 80,000 people. This city has a lot to offer from shopping centers like Eastridge Mall to unique restaurants in the downtown historic district. It is also located near the US National Whitewater Center, Crowders Mountain State Park, and other picturesque outdoor locations.
If you own a house in this North Carolina city, an independent insurance agent can help you find the best and most competitively priced homeowners insurance policy to cover your investment. Find an insurance agent in Gastonia to start comparing a selection of customized home insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Gastonia, NC?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in North Carolina is slightly lower than the national average. In Gastonia, where there is an abundance of affordable housing, rates are lower still. This is good news for those who are searching for an affordable home insurance policy.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,075
- Gastonia average yearly premium: $674
Of course, an average rate can only give you an idea of what your actual home insurance quotes will look like. Insurance costs are determined on a case-by-case basis and are calculated according to several different factors such as:
- Your home’s age, value, and size
- The age of your roof and the materials used in your home’s construction
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
- The amount of your deductible
Each insurance company has its own way of assessing costs, so comparing quotes lets you choose the home insurance policy that offers you the best value for your money. Independent insurance agents in Gastonia make comparison shopping easy.
What Are the Risks Faced by Homeowners in Gastonia?
Gastonia homeowners insurance is designed to cover you against most of the risks you are likely to face as a property owner in this city. This includes hazards ranging from accidental structure fires to inclement weather events like hail, severe storms, and freezing temperatures.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Gastonia is far enough from the Carolina coast that hurricanes tend to weaken into tropical storms by the time they strike this city. However, the high winds they bring can topple trees, destroy roofs and gutters, and cause widespread power outages. The good news is that this damage is covered by your homeowners insurance.
Hurricanes and tropical storms also bring heavy and prolonged rainfall, and this can lead to significant flooding especially for residents near Blackwood Creek, Crowders Creek, Catawba Creek, and other area waterways. However, even though hurricane damage is covered by homeowners insurance, flood damage is not.
This means that in order to have coverage for damage caused by rising waters, you will need to supplement your Gastonia homeowners insurance with a flood insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglary in Gastonia?
The burglary rate in North Carolina is much higher than the national rate, and in Gastonia the risk is even higher. Residents of this city report more than 600 burglaries in a typical a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 7.10
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Gastonia: 7.70
If you are the victim of a burglary, it can be very stressful to deal with the invasion of your privacy and the loss of your belongings. You may therefore take some comfort in knowing that your home insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglars may have done to your house.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help making sure that your contents coverage is high enough and that your most valuable possessions are properly insured. Sometimes this involves purchasing special endorsements or riders to cover things like collections or family heirlooms.
There are several precautionary measures you can take to reduce your risk of a burglary. These include using motion sensitive outdoor lights, putting a hold on mail delivery when you are traveling, and using secure deadbolt locks.
Home security systems are among the most effective theft deterrents. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policy holders who have burglar alarms. Talk to an independent insurance agent to learn more about this and other available discounts.
Why Does Gastonia Homeowners Insurance Provide Liability Coverage?
If you do not have insurance coverage against it, a liability lawsuit could potentially lead to a catastrophic financial loss. This, in turn, could cause you to lose your home. That is why your homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal fees, and damages if you or someone in your household is responsible for third-party injuries or property damage.
Some examples of times that homeowners liability coverage may be of use include:
- A visitor is seriously injured in an accident on your property.
- Your child damages a neighbor’s property while playing baseball with friends.
- Your dog gets lose and bites someone.
- You accidentally cause a serious injury to a friend while away from home, like if you're playing Frisbee in Martha Rivers Park.
- You are accused of libel or slander.
If you want to have more liability coverage than your home insurance policy offers, you can supplement your coverage with umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to significantly raise all of your liability coverage. Your local independent insurance agent can give you more information, and if you wish, can help you obtain a competitively priced policy.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Some Gastonia residents own more than one house. Maybe you have a cabin in the Appalachian Mountains, or perhaps you own a second house that you rent out to students at nearby Belmont Abbey College. Regardless of how you use your extra property, you will need to cover it with an appropriate home insurance policy.
A house that does not serve as your primary residence often has additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. These types of properties may therefore need specialized home insurance coverage. For example:
- When vacation homes are left unoccupied for long stretches of time they have an increased risk of property damage and burglaries. These houses may need to be covered by vacant home insurance whenever they are not being used.
- Second homes that are occupied by renters have lower contents coverage needs, but higher liability risks. If you have tenants living in your property, it will need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local independent agent can help you find appropriate insurance to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Gastonia?
The easiest way to get the best homeowners insurance policy is by working a local independent agent. These agents aren’t tied to a particular insurance company so they are free to shop around to find you reliable coverage at an affordable rate.
Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Gastonia to start comparing customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.