The state of Oregon is full of forested areas and natural parks. Tourists flock to the state for its wildlife and natural landscapes. While the state is famous for its annual rainfall totals, it also has its fair share of beautiful, warm days.
There are 3.1 million licensed drivers in the state of Oregon, and over one million of those drivers get behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle. While having an accident in your personal car can be traumatic, an accident behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle can be disastrous. Commercial vehicle insurance is important to have as a business. If an accident occurs, having insurance covering you may spell the difference between keeping the doors open and closing up shop.
Oregon Business Statistics
- Portland, Oregon is home to the third biggest port (tonnage-wise) on the West Coast.
- There are 4.1 million registered vehicles in the state of Oregon.
- Manufacturing and forestry are some of the top industries in Oregon.
- Oregon is the largest producer of lumber in the United States.
- There were over 11,200 accidents in Oregon during 2011.
Business is booming in Oregon, and commercial vehicles line the roadways every day. The majority of businesses use vehicles to help their business in day-to-day operations, so it's important that these vehicles have insurance covering them in case of an accident. Even a small fender bender may cost tens of thousands of dollars in damages, medical bills, lawyer fees, and judgements.
What Is Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
A commercial auto insurance policy is a set of insurance policies put together to protect you from some of the most common risks associated with a business that utilizes vehicles. A typical commercial vehicle policy in OR may resemble the following:
- Liability: Liability policies are put in place to protect you from the ramifications of an accident. Businesses are prone to lawsuits, and liability can help cover the damage an accident can cause, along with medical bills and legal defense costs.
- Collision: Collision policies are designed to help your business recover after an accident. This insurance covers your vehicles for damages so you can get your vehicles back on the road.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive insurance is designed to help cover everything other than collision. This includes weather-related damage, fire, tree limbs, theft, and even vandalism.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist: Unfortunately, not everyone carries adequate insurance. If you or your employees are involved in an accident with someone who is under/uninsured, this insurance can help cover the expenses that the other party can't cover.
There are other coverages available, such as non-owned vehicle coverage and personal injury coverage, although not every policy is suited for every business. You should talk with an insurance agent to get a better idea of what coverage types are best for you and your business.
What Types of Vehicles Can a Commercial Auto Policy in OR Cover?
No matter the type of business you run, commercial vehicle insurance can offer coverage. Below is a list of some of the most common vehicle types that a commercial vehicle policy can cover:
- Pick-up trucks
- Bucket trucks
- Commercial trucks
- Passenger vans
- Cargo vans
- Dump trucks
- Passenger cars
- Full-size trucks
Keep in mind that if you use your personal vehicle for any business errands, you'll need to have commercial vehicle coverage in place on your personal vehicle as well. This list is not exhaustive, however, it outlines many of the types of vehicles that can be covered.
How Much Will a Commercial Vehicle Insurance Quote Be in Oregon?
Every business is different, which is why the amount for commercial vehicle insurance can vary. When deciding to get quotes for commercial vehicle insurance online, make sure to be aware of the following:
- Type of business
- Scope of work
- Number of vehicles
- Type of vehicles
- Where vehicles travel
- Where vehicles will be stored
- Number of employees
- Driving records of employees who will drive vehicles
- Safety program information
- History of claims
- Preferred coverages
- Preferred deductible
The above factors will be used to get you a commercial vehicle insurance policy that will best protect your business.
What About My Commercial Semi Truck?
Commercial semi-trucks, dump trucks, and other large vehicles also require insurance. Since these vehicles are much larger than typical vehicles on the road, an accident involving a commercial truck can be serious, or even fatal. Semi-trucks and other large vehicles need specialized coverage in order to be fully protected while on the road. There are many coverage options available for semi-trucks and large trucks, such as cargo insurance and higher-limit liability policies.
Are There Discounts Available on Commercial Vehicle Insurance in Oregon?
Like many other insurance policies, there are usually discounts available. When you're shopping for commercial vehicle insurance quotes, be sure to ask about available discounts, including the following:
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Claims-free discount
- Safety program discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Professional/industry affiliation discount
Each insurance company offers it's customers different discounts, so always inquire about any discounts you may not be aware of.
How to Protect Your Business With Commercial Vehicle Insurance in Oregon
Getting the right insurance policy in place to cover your business is an important step. Having a professional by your side to guide you in the right direction is crucial. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you go over coverages, suggest discounts, or even help you file a claim.