The state of Oregon is home to a wide variety of bodies of water. From the west coast of Oregon touching the Pacific Ocean to the desert rivers and lakes of East Oregon, the state's waterways go from tranquil and peaceful to wild and dangerous. Whether you use a kayak or yacht, boat insurance is a must because accidents are bound to happen. Before you go about shopping for boat insurance quotes, read the following information to learn more about boating and the reasons to have boat insurance.
Oregon Boating Statistics
- In 2013, there were more than 166,000 registered boats in OR.
- Boaters report boating accidents only an estimated 10 to 15% of the time.
- In 2013, there were 67 reported accidents and 10 reported fatalities on OR waters.
- 85 to 90% of fatalities would not happen if those involved wore life jackets.
In Oregon, all boaters operating a vessel must have a boater education card on their person. Additionally, Individuals 16 and under may only operate a vessel under the guidance of someone 18 or older who has a boater education card. No one 16 or under may operate a PWC, and only those 18 and over can rent a PWC in Oregon.
What Is Boat Insurance?
Boat insurance affords you coverage from some of the most common risks and dangers of boating. Just like a life preserver, boat insurance can protect you when you need it the most. A typical boat insurance policy in Oregon may contain the following coverage:
- General liability: Liability insurance protects anyone you injure while you are operating your boat. It can help cover the damage you cause, medical bills and your legal defense or court fees.
- Property damage liability: This coverage can help cover property damage that you cause with your vessel. This includes property such as a dock, trailer or vehicle.
- Physical damage: Physical damage coverage works to help you get repairs on your boat or trailer should you be involved in an accident.
- Comprehensive: Just like comprehensive auto insurance, this coverage can help cover damage from incidents other than collision.
- Optional extras: There are many other types of boat insurance coverage available such as emergency towing coverage, equipment coverage and fuel spill/pollution coverage. When getting insurance quotes online in Oregon, take a quick glance at these other available coverages to see if they may benefit you.
What Types of Boats Can Boat Insurance in Oregon Cover?
Boat insurance can cover most types of vessels. The following is a list of some of the most common types of boats that a boat insurance policy in Oregon can cover:
- Jon boat
- Paddle boat
- Fishing boat
- Bass boat
- Cabin cruiser
- Pontoon boat
The list above is not exhaustive. If you own a boat other than one of these types, coverage is most likely available. Getting quotes and discussing your insurance options is the best way to make sure you have adequate coverage.
Boat Insurance Quotes in Oregon
The risks and exposures you will experience may differ from those of other boaters, so insurance prices may vary accordingly. When getting quotes for boat insurance in Oregon, make sure you are familiar with the following:
- Type of boat
- Horsepower of boat
- Age of boat
- Value of boat
- Where boat is stored
- Where boat will be used
- Your driving record (on and off the water)
- Whether boat is financed
- Whether boat will be on a trailer
- Whether passengers will be on the boat
- Whether others will drive the boat
- Desired coverages
- Desired deductibles
Insurance providers will consider all of the above factors before giving you boat insurance quotes to make sure you are getting the proper coverage.
Getting Available Discounts on Your Boat Insurance
Just like many other insurance policies, there are discounts available on boat insurance. The discounts most commonly offered with boat insurance policies may include the following:
- Multi-policy discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Good driver discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Professional/Industrial affiliation discount
- Lay-up discount (if you only use your boat during summer, for example)
Each insurance company offers different discounts, so be sure to inquire about any discounts you may be eligible for.
How To Get Boat Insurance in Oregon
When deciding on boat insurance, it's important to have a professional by your side who understands boaters. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you find coverage, suggest discounts and even help you file a claim.
Contact a local Trusted Choice agent for more information on quotes and coverage options for your boat.