Florence, SC is a dynamic and growing city at the heart of the “Pee-Dee.” It has become a major health center, hosting three major medical providers – Carolinas Hospital System, McLeod Regional Medical Center, and HealthSouth. It’s a good place to live and work in, but you need a car to get around – and that means you have to have car insurance.
A certain amount of car insurance is not only required by state law but it also protects you from other drivers and whatever may come your way. An Independent Insurance Agent is critical for finding the best possible deal on insurance that fits your needs. By getting you multiple quotes from many different carriers, they will find you the Florence car insurance at the lowest possible cost.
Cost of Car Insurance in South Carolina
The cost of car insurance is based on seven key factors:
- Your coverage and deductibles - This is your level of coverage for any claim.
- Your vehicle - A car more expensive to repair costs more to insure.
- Your driving habits - How often and how far you drive is a factor. Usually, insurance companies take your word for it.
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your driving record - Are you accident- and ticket-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
Nationally, the average spent per year on car insurance premiums is $1,311, but in South Carolina, it is only $1,210. That ranks the state 31st in cost, well below average. Your car insurance cost in Florence could be higher or lower depending on several factors, including those listed above.
South Carolina Car Insurance Requirements
You can select the coverage you want in order to protect yourself from loss and expensive lawsuits if you are found to be at fault in an accident. But the state of South Carolina has minimum protection requirements for every car. Coverage you may select includes the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability - This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability - This is also required, with a minimum of $25,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection - This is not required, but you may select to cover any injuries you sustain.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage - This is not required in South Carolina, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
- Comprehensive - This policy includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
The state minimums are quite low, and the cost of an accident that injures someone else may be much more expensive than these limits. Coverage above the state minimums has to be considered, especially if you have a new or otherwise valuable car. You are responsible for any additional costs if you are found responsible for an accident in a court of law. That's why you need the best Florence auto insurance you can afford.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in South Carolina
Across the U.S., 12.6 percent of all drivers or one in eight is uninsured. The odds of getting into an accident with a driver who has no insurance is very high. It’s much better in South Carolina, where only 7.7 percent of all drivers carry no insurance. Purchasing uninsured motorist coverage is a great idea, especially if you have a new car and select comprehensive coverage. It doesn’t cost much more and can save you quite a lot if you are in an accident with someone who is not covered.
Number of Auto Thefts in South Carolina
Nationally there are 2.94 thefts for every 1,000 cars every year. In South Carolina, the rate is higher, with 3.49 thefts per 1,000 cars. Most cars come with alarms today, but you have to remember to set it for it to work. It’s also important to always park someplace that has a lot of people around at all times and is well-lit to prevent theft.
Find a Florence Car Insurance Policy
For all your insurance needs, the best route is to talk to an Independent Insurance Agent. They can help you assess your needs based on what you can afford and what you drive. By having the best quotes that fit your needs, you can save a lot of money in the long run – both every time you pay the premium and if the worst does happen to you when you have an accident.
Compare car insurance quotes with an agent near you today.