Out in the countryside, it’s important to have a car to get around. There is a lot to see and do in and around Lexington, SC, for sure. There are even great cities like Atlanta and Charleston within an easy day trip. A car is a necessity out here, and under state law, that means that you have to have car insurance. The best Lexington auto insurance policy for you is based on many things, including state requirements, your lifestyle and your car.
In order to navigate all the options to find the best policy for yourself, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent. Your agent will get you multiple quotes so that you can compare to find the best policy for your needs at a price you can afford. Insuring your car is quite affordable in South Carolina. The figures from recent years tell the story:
- The U.S. average is $1,311 per year for car insurance premiums.
- The average in South Carolina is $1,210 per year.
- This ranks the state 31st overall.
- There were $4.5 million claimed car insurance losses in South Carolina.
There are always many things you can do to keep your car insurance even more affordable. A garage or other protection brings the premium cost down over parking in the street, for example. And insurance cost depends a lot on the make and model of your car, so if you are considering buying a new car, you can ask what it would cost to insure first.
South Carolina Car Insurance Requirements
State law mandates that every driver on the roads of South Carolina have some minimal insurance coverage. This includes the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $25,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, but you may choose to cover any injuries to you personally.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in South Carolina, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
Above and beyond the demands of state law, you can also choose to have what is called a comprehensive policy. This covers any damage to your car for any reason, including theft, storms, and vandalism. Many policies even include a rental when your car is in the shop so that you can always get around. It’s important to select the right policy for your lifestyle and not simply opt for the lowest price.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in South Carolina
Did we say that insurance is required by law? Not everyone has it, however. These are the figures:
- In the U.S. as a whole, 12.6% of all drivers carry no insurance.
- 7.7% of all drivers in South Carolina are uninsured.
Many drivers wisely opt for uninsured motorist coverage, even though it is not required. In the event you are in an accident with a driver who is not carrying insurance, this pays out quickly, thus avoiding long hassles with lawyers and the courts. If you are injured in an accident with an uninsured driver, the potential cost to you is much higher than the value of your car – medical bills can be nearly unlimited. Uninsured motorist coverage is definitely worth considering in Lexington as it is everywhere.
Number of Auto Thefts in South Carolina
On average, the rate of auto theft is higher in South Carolina:
- Across the U.S., there were 2.94 thefts per 1,000 cars in recent years.
- In South Carolina, the rate was 3.49 per 1,000 cars in the same year.
Some makes and models are more heavily targeted by thieves for a number of reasons – they are easier to steal or sell when “hot” or they have a larger market for parts. If you are contemplating buying a new car, you may want to check to see if it falls into this category and is more expensive to insure. No matter what, there are many things you can do to minimize your auto theft risk and keep your insurance claims down so that you maintain the lowest cost for your car insurance.
Find a Great Lexington Car Insurance Policy
With so many options, finding the best car insurance for your needs can be daunting. Make an appointment with your Independent Agent today to understand the options for your vehicle and lifestyle so that you can get the quote that fits your needs and your budget the best.