There are more than 150,000 trailers registered in Alabama, from small utility trailers to full-length semi-trailers. For a small premium, you can insure your trailer and its contents with trailer insurance. Quotes on trailer insurance are usually very affordable. A policy can protect you from the expense of an accident or theft involving your trailer, including a portion of the costs of a legal claim against you. No matter what or why you haul, a trailer insurance policy can give you peace of mind on Alabama highways.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Alabama Trailer Facts
- AL state law requires registration for all trailers longer than 16 feet with more than one axle.
- Of the 152,000 registered trailers in AL, 64,000 are commercial trailers, including semi-trailers.
- 68,000 of AL-registered trailers are light-duty trailers, including farm trailers, utility trailers, and car trailers.
What Is Trailer Insurance?
Some car insurance or commercial vehicle insurance policies offer a certain amount of coverage for an attached trailer, but this coverage often cannot cover the entire cost of an accident or crime that involves your trailer. In addition, the coverage usually provides no protection for the valuable equipment, merchandise, and property you tow inside the trailer. Trailer insurance is an inexpensive addition to your vehicle insurance policy meant to address the extra risk incurred by towing a trailer. It can cover the following:
- Liability: This can help with the extra expenses you may face if someone files a bodily injury or property damage claim against you after an accident.
- Comprehensive: This can help with the cost of repairing or replacing your trailer after a covered event such as a fire, hailstorm, tornado, vandalism or theft.
- Total loss replacement: This coverage can help you to purchase a new trailer if someone steals the old one or your trailer is beyond repair after an incident. You can choose to purchase actual cash value coverage or replacement cost coverage. Replacement cost coverage may cost a bit more than actual cash value coverage, but it can usually pay the cost of a new trailer in full, rather than the cost of a depreciated trailer.
- Contents: This is an option you may need if you keep valuable items in your trailer. It can cover your tools and property against accidents and theft, up to a certain limit.
How Much Does Trailer Insurance Cost?
The quotes you receive for a trailer insurance policy can vary widely, depending on the type of trailer, as well as its age, size, purpose, and value. Your quotes can also vary depending on the trailer's location and use. You can add some small utility trailers to your auto policy for $20 or less. Large RV trailers can cost upwards of $500 per year to insure.
What Kinds of Trailers Can You Insure?
You can get trailer insurance for the following types of trailers and many more:
- Horse and livestock trailers
- Boat trailers
- PWC trailers
- Toy haulers
- Camping trailers
- Commercial trailers
- Auto trailers
To find out if your particular trailer is eligible for coverage, you can get information from a local agent.
Get Affordable Quotes on Trailer Insurance
An independent agent in our reliable network can shop a long list of insurance companies to find the right trailer insurance at the best possible price for you.
Contact an agent right here in Alabama to get the trailer insurance you need in order to tow safely.