Evanston, IL, has 74,756 residents who use the roadways at any given time. With over 115 commercial truck road fatalities in Illinois per year, coverage is necessary. If you own a business that uses autos, it's mandatory to carry commercial vehicle insurance.
An independent insurance agent will help you obtain an affordable policy. Since commercial auto coverage is required in IL, you'll need a policy that complies with local law. Connect with a trusted adviser to get customized quotes today.
Why Do Evanston, IL, Businesses Need Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
Evanston, IL, requires all business owners that utilize commercial vehicles to carry insurance. The Illinois Department of Transportation has statistics and ways to prevent roadside fatalities. Take a look at the numbers below.
- 32% of Illinois based car accidents are speed related
- Roughly 772 car wrecks occur in Illinois each day
- 84,172 people were injured in Illinois car accidents
- 0.0009% of fatal accidents involve commercial trucks in Illinois
If you're using heavy and tractor-trailer trucks to haul loads across state lines, there are different requirements you'll need to meet below.
- Your commercial vehicle policy will have to comply with both state and federal laws.
- If you haul materials, they will need to be documented with the Department of Transportation (DOT) and your insurance carrier for rating purposes.
What Are the Commercial Vehicle Coverage Requirements in Evanston, IL?
Evanston, IL, requires each commercial vehicle policy to carry the state's minimum limits of liability. Coverage will depend on the type and size of commercial autos you insure. Check out Illinois's liability guidelines below.
Illinois's minimum liability requirements for commercial vehicles
- Bodily injury liability requirements: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability requirements: $20,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage requirements: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Illinois's minimum liability requirements per seating capacity
- 10-13 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $1,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 14-20 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $1,500,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 21-30 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $2,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 31+ people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $3,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
Other for-hire passenger vehicles, including medical transport
Bodily injury $250,000 / Property damage $50,000 or $300,000 Combined Single Limit (CSL)
Hazardous Substance Carriers: $1,000,000 to $5,000,000 CSL depending on specifics
What Else Does Evanston, IL, Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cover?
Your commercial auto policy in Evanston, IL, comes standard with minimum limits of liability. When you want coverage for your vehicles and more, you'll have to add it manually. Take a look at the optional coverage choices below.
Uninsured motorist insurance: If your commercial auto is involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, this provides coverage for property damage and medical costs.
Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your commercial vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision accident.
Towing and roadside assistance: This will pay for a tow to pick up your disabled commercial auto.
Non-owned or hired auto liability insurance: If an employee or contractor uses a non-company-owned vehicle while doing business on your behalf, this will cover your exposure.
Collision insurance: This will replace or repair your commercial auto that is damaged due to an accident.
Rental car insurance: This covers the cost of renting a commercial vehicle while your company-owned auto is being repaired.
How Much Does Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cost in Evanston, IL?
The cost of commercial vehicle insurance in Evanston, IL, will depend on several risk exposures. If you're looking for the best rates and coverage, a professional can help. Check out the risk factors that companies use to determine your pricing below.
- Year, make, and model of all vehicles
- The radius in which you travel
- The number of drivers and their motor vehicle records
- What the vehicles are used for
- The coverage you choose
- Where you store the vehicles
- What safety measures you have in place
- The time of day or night these vehicles are driven
In the US, there was $12,764,999 in commercial truck premiums last year alone. A variety of items will impact your costs. Things like your insurance score, loss history, local crime, and more will play a role.
Why Work with an Independent Agent in Evanston, IL?
When you own a business in Evanston, IL, your insurance is essential. The right coverage could mean the difference in a claim being paid or financial ruin. To ensure you have adequate insurance that complies with state law, consult with a professional.
An independent insurance agent has access to several carriers, saving you time and money. When you need a trusted adviser in your corner, an independent agent can help. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com to start saving.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.