Indiana provides many scenic rivers and lakes to cruise. For those who wish to stay within the Indianapolis area, Eagle Creek Park is a great place to take your craft out on the water. Whether you own a large luxury boat such as a yacht, a smaller fishing boat or a bass boat, Indianapolis, IN boat insurance is an inexpensive way to protect your investment and your finances.
A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can answer any questions you may have about boat insurance. Independent agents can use their relationships with several different insurance providers to find you an affordable boat insurance policy that meets your needs and budget. Find an agent today to receive a variety of competitively-priced Indianapolis boat insurance quotes based on your ZIP code.
- All boats must be registered with the state
- To operate a boat on public waterways, you must be at least 15 years old
- Boat operators must either have a state issued driver’s license or a pass that verifies completion of a boating safety course.
- Boat owners are not required to carry insurance
In the state of Indiana, only boats used for commercial purposes are required to have insurance coverage. Just because insurance is not mandatory does not mean it is unimportant. A cabin cruiser or a pontoon can be an expensive purchase; a comprehensive Indianapolis boat insurance policy can protect your recreational investment.
Boating Accidents: Comparing Indiana to the Nation
- Nationwide, there were 4588 boating accidents, 15% of which were fatal
- In Indiana, there were 50 boating accidents, 20% of which were fatal
- Nationwide, there were 1709 boating accidents that resulted in property damage
- In Indiana, there were 16 boating accidents that resulted in property damage
- Nationwide, the average cost per boating accident was $11,377
- In Indiana, the average cost per boating accident was $5,933
- The national boating accident fatality rate is 6.2
- Indiana’s boating accident fatality rate is 4.6
Boating accidents can lead to thousands of dollars in property damage. When these accidents involve injuries they can be even more expensive, particularly if they are severe enough to require long-term medical care. Rather than risk facing severe financial losses in the wake of an accident, purchase a boat insurance policy for peace-of-mind.
Top Three Boating Accident Types in Indiana
- Collision with another boat: 15 reported accidents
- Collision with a fixed object: 7 reported accidents
- Falls overboard: 7 reported accidents
The two most common causes of boating accidents are operator inattention and inexperience. Minimize your chances of being in an accident by adhering to boating regulations and remaining alert and watchful at the helm. Boating safety courses are one of the best ways to obtain knowledge that can keep you safe while out on the water. Additionally, successful completion of a state-approved course can result in lower boat insurance premiums.
Many people think that the liability and personal property insurance coverage provided by homeowners insurance will provide adequate coverage for boats. Unfortunately, this coverage is usually extremely limited and can’t cover all your risks on the water. For complete coverage, you will need a comprehensive Indianapolis boat insurance policy.
What Does Indianapolis Boat Insurance Cover?
Liability coverage is the most important aspect of boat insurance, since these are the costs that can be unmanageably excessive if you are involved in a serious accident. All boat insurance policies provide liability coverage that will cover medical and property damage expenses for third-parties if you are responsible for damages. It will also provide compensation for court costs and legal fees for a covered event.
Depending on the insurer, other coverage options may be included automatically or may be purchased separately. Some options for you may include:
- Trailer Insurance: provides coverage for your boat and trailer for damage while transporting your boat to and from the water
- Personal Property Insurance: Includes coverage for safety equipment, tools, and fishing gear if they should be stolen or damaged
- Towing and Assistance Coverage: For help if your boat becomes disabled or needs service
- Medical Coverage: Will cover expenses for you and your passengers if someone is injured in a boating accident, regardless of fault
- Uninsured/Underinsured Boaters Insurance: Provides coverage for accidents caused by other boaters who may not have proper coverage
- Docking Insurance: Provides coverage for damages to your boat while it is docked or not in use
- Fuel Spills and Wreckage Cleanup Coverage: If you are involved in a boating accident, you will be required to pay for the costs of cleanup. This can be quite expensive when fuel spillage is involved. This insurance will cover the clean-up costs.
Find the Right Indianapolis Boat Insurance Policy
When shopping for any type of insurance, it’s advisable to get at least three quotes before you buy. Obtaining these quotes can often be time-consuming. It can also be confusing when you must decide between a lower-priced policy that provides minimal coverage and a higher-priced one that offers coverage for every potential risk.
Working with a Trusted Choice independent agent can simplify the process. Your agent can provide you with several options and give you guidance so that you can make the most informed decision.
Your local Trusted Choice agent can go beyond just helping you find your ideal boat insurance policy. Agents are available to assist you with all your insurance-related needs and can find you ways to save money on your other policies. Contact Trusted Choice® to find a member agent in your neighborhood and obtain your obligation-free Indianapolis boat insurance quotes.