Boston has the distinction of being the state capital of Massachusetts, the largest city in the state, and the 10th largest metropolitan area with a very high urban concentration - so you most likely aren't riding your all-terrain vehicle around town. But when you get out to Massachusetts' many trails and backroads, are you prepared for trouble with Boston, MA ATV insurance?
ATVs are growing in popularity here. There are risks associated with these vehicles and, as their use increases, so do the accidents. Contact a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network to compare Boston ATV insurance quotes and find the right coverage to protect you, your vehicle and your passengers.
ATV Accident Statistics – Latest Reliable Annual Figures
- Number of ATVs in use: 10.6 milliion
- Risk of injury per 10,000 vehicles: 10
- Emergency room treatments: 115,000
- Deaths: 903
Is Boston ATV Insurance Required?
The state of Massachusetts does not have specific insurance requirements for ATVs. However, getting ATV insurance is a good idea for several reasons:
- All-terrain vehicles are prone to roll-overs.
- Riders and passengers can be thrown from the vehicle while riding over rough terrain.
- You don't have protection from a fall or collision as you would in a car with steel reinforcement and airbags.
- Boston ATV insurance can protect you financially from liability claims if you are responsible for injuries to others, or damage to other people's property.
- Your ATV insurance can also provide protection if you in an accident caused by another ATV rider who does not have adequate coverage to cover your injuries and property damage.
Some people assume that they will be covered by their homeowners or auto insurance policies, but this isn’t usually the case. You normally will require separate insurance for an ATV. Talk with a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network to get all of your questions answered.
What Types of Risk Does ATV Insurance Cover?
Whether you are using your ATV for recreational or you have a UTV for functional purposes such as farming, ranching or snow plowing, there are several types of risk you may be exposed to.
Liability: Some of the most important protection to consider is personal injury and property damage liability insurance. Medical and legal costs can be significant – sometimes beyond imagination – especially in the event of a life-threatening injury or fatality. Liability insurance can protect your finances when you are responsible for an accident.
Collision: You will want to consider collision coverage for damage to the vehicle itself, as these are expensive items and repair costs are high. Whether you are responsible for damage to your three-wheeler or four-wheeler, or another ATV rider causes a collision, you will want to be able to repair or replace your vehicle.
Comprehensive: A comprehensive insurance policy, also known as "other than collision," will guard against other risks such as vandalism and theft. This portion of your policy will also cover you for most damage from severe weather.
Uninsured/underinsured motorists: Particularly in the case of all-terrain vehicles, it is a good idea to have coverage for incidents.
A Trusted Choice member can provide several Boston ATV insurance quotes for you to consider and help you make the decision that is right for you.
How Much Does Boston ATV Insurance Cost?
The amount you pay for insurance will vary with a number of factors. It could be as little as $100, but your costs can go much higher under certain circumstances.
Factor that will affect your costs include:
- The age of riders: This is an important consideration for your insurance company, as a high proportion of accidents and fatalities involve riders under age 16.
- The type and value of your ATV: The type, power, age and value of the vehicle are also likely to influence insurance rates. If you have a brand new quad, it most likely will pay to shop around for rates.
- The coverage you choose: The amount of coverage you want to cover liability, collision and other types of coverage will also determine the cost, as will the area you operate in and the number of claims and perceived risk in that particular place. If you use the vehicle for regular work, you may have a higher premium.
Fortunately, there are ways to save. If you have an excellent driving record, you may qualify for a discount on your coverage. Most insurers offer semi-annual terms which make payment easier and more affordable.
How to Compare Boston ATV Insurance Quotes
There are many different vehicles that can fall under the all-terrain vehicle classification, including three and four-wheelers, side-by-side vehicles, snowmobiles and even segways.
To compare quotes for your particular ATV, find a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network. These agents have access to coverage and quotes from many different insurance companies, and can help you find just the right policy for your unique needs.