There is probably no place with a variety of things to do more than Amherst, MA. From the University of Massachusetts to a hike in the Berkshires and even a day trip into Boston – everything you could possibly want to do is within a short drive. But that means you have to have a car to get around, and driving a car means car insurance.
In order to find the best Amherst auto insurance that fits your needs, talk to an Independent Insurance Agent today. Our agents shop around to many different agencies and get multiple quotes so that you can compare and find the most affordable insurance to fit your lifestyle.
It’s no secret that the roads around Boston get crazy at times, so it comes as no surprise that car insurance in Massachusetts, overall, is more expensive than in other states. Here are a few statistics from recent years:
- The U.S. average is $1,311 per year for car insurance premiums.
- Massachusetts averages $1,460 every year.
- For that, it ranks 16th overall in car insurance cost.
- Claimed losses totaled $6,530,654 that year.
Car insurance is not just about protecting your car in case of an accident and keeping it looking great. The real costs from accidents come from injuries suffered, and medical bills can be nearly unlimited in potential liability even in relatively minor accidents. You have to have the right coverage for the very high risk that you take just by getting on the roads every day.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
Car insurance is required by state law. There are minimum levels of protection that every driver has to have in key categories:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $5,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $5,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Massachusetts as well.
Beyond the basic requirements of state law, you can also choose to have comprehensive coverage for your vehicle. This takes care of any scrapes and dings whether caused in a parking lot or on the roads. If you have a new car that you want to keep looking its best at all times, you may want to consider having a full comprehensive package that takes care of everything for you. You can even include roadside assistance and the cost of a rental while your car is in the shop if you can’t be without your car for any reason.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
While insurance is required by state law, some drivers don’t carry any. This is a fairly minor problem in Massachusetts, but it’s still there. Consider the following stats from recent years:
- Nationally, 13% of all drivers do not have insurance.
- In Massachusetts, only 6.2% of drivers have no insurance.
A policy that protects you from uninsured drivers is required by state law, so you are protected no matter what happens.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
Cars are stolen far less frequently in Massachusetts than in other states. These are some more statistics from recent years:
- The U.S. average is 2.28 thefts per 1,000.
- In Massachusetts, the rate is 0.96 per 1,000 cars.
That’s not to say you shouldn’t worry about this or select less coverage. Some models are targeted by thieves for a wide variety of reasons. If you are considering buying a new car, you may want to check with your agent to see if a car you are considering is particularly expensive. No matter what, you can do a lot to protect yourself from theft by being careful where you park and always turning on your alarm.
Find a Great Amherst Car Insurance Policy
It’s hard to manage the costs and liabilities from simply getting around every day without expert advice you can trust. Talk to an Independent Agent today to get the information you need to find the best coverage for your lifestyle at the best price possible. Your agent will help you find the policy you need so that you can drive without worrying no matter what happens.