Gulfport is the second-largest city in Mississippi. Its many businesses need a variety of commercial vehicles to transport goods and materials locally and across the US. Whether the vehicles are used for deliveries, transporting people, or performing construction work, you are required by Mississippi law to have a certain amount of commercial vehicle insurance. What’s more, commercial auto insurance is necessary to protect your financial well-being if one of your vehicles is involved in an accident. An independent insurance agent in Gulfport can help you find the best policy to meet your needs as well as all of the state requirements. Contact a local agent to compare quotes and make an informed choice.
Why Is Commercial Auto Insurance So Important?
Insurance companies assume that commercial vehicles are exposed to more risk than most personal vehicles. And when a company-owned vehicle is involved in a crash, liability lawsuits, property damage expenses, and loss of income are often the result. You need commercial auto insurance to cover your business cars, trucks, and any other vehicles used in business operations. Your commercial auto insurance policy can cover:
- Vehicles that your business owns
- Vehicles that your business hires and leases
- All vehicles that are used for business purposes, including those that the business does not own, hire, or lease (e.g., when your employees drive their own personal vehicles for business purposes)
A single fatality caused by one of your commercial vehicles can cost you millions of dollars in legal fees and damages. Your commercial auto insurance protects your assets in these situations. Commercial motor vehicles (CMVs)—including large trucks, passenger vehicles, small package delivery vehicles, pick-up trucks with trailers attached, box trucks, and more—are frequently involved in accidents in Mississippi and across the US. Passenger vehicles involved in crashes with CMVs are highly vulnerable to damage, injuries, and fatalities.
CMV-Related Fatalities recently in the US:
- There were 37,461 fatalities on America’s roadways in 34,439 motor vehicle crashes.
- There were 4,564 fatalities in 4,079 crashes involving large trucks or buses.
- Large truck occupants made up 16% of all large truck and bus fatalities.
- While CMVs accounted for only 4% of the registered vehicles on the roads, they accounted for 9% of motor vehicle accident deaths.
Mississippi CMV Crash Statistics:
- Two-thirds of all Mississippi CMV crashes occur on a rural road, while one-third occur on the Interstate.
- One-third of all Mississippi fatal crashes involving CMVs occur at night.
How Much Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cost in Gulfport, MS?
Gulfport commercial auto insurance rates vary significantly from business to business. Your insurance company will consider the number of vehicles and drivers, the makes and models of the vehicles, the amount of coverage that each vehicle needs, and more. Remember that a company with a fleet of trucks will pay more than a small business with a few cars used for sales calls or deliveries.
You can minimize your risk of collisions and control costs by hiring experienced drivers with good driving records and by ensuring that your company’s vehicles are well-maintained. It is also a good idea to limit the number of hours your employees spend on the road each day to prevent problems with driver fatigue. These activities not only promote safety and help avoid accidents, but many insurance companies also offer discounts to policyholders who provide their drivers with safety education materials and training.
How Much Commercial Vehicle Insurance Does My Business Need?
Do you need to cover a single delivery car or van, several construction vehicles like dump trucks or front loaders, or an entire fleet of 18-wheel semis or passenger buses? The amount of commercial auto insurance coverage you need depends on the number and types of vehicles you own and a variety of other factors. If your business owns trucks over 10,000 pounds, you must comply with all state and federal liability insurance requirements.
The amount of liability insurance you’ll be required to purchase depends on the weight of your trucks, where they are traveling, and what they are transporting. In addition to the requirements placed on heavy trucks, all Mississippi drivers, both personal and commercial, need to have a minimum amount of insurance in order to comply with state law.
- Minimum liability insurance limits: 25/50/25; coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual; and $25,000 coverage for property damage
What Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cover?
All commercial vehicle insurance policies in Gulfport provide at least the minimum liability coverage required by the state of Mississippi. Other coverage options you can consider include:
- Collision insurance: Covers the cost to repair your own vehicle after a collision.
- Comprehensive insurance: Covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to non-collision hazards such as falling objects, floods, fire, or theft.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Provides coverage for damage and medical expenses if your employee is involved in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Covers the cost of assistance if your company vehicle becomes disabled while out on the road.
- Non-owned or hired auto liability insurance: Provides liability coverage for non-owned vehicles being used for business purposes, such as when you rent or lease a vehicle or when you or an employee use a personal vehicle for business purposes.
An independent insurance agent can answer questions about your options and offer quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can get all of the coverage you need at an affordable price.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all policy when it comes to commercial auto insurance. A business that relies on a few cars for making local deliveries will have vastly different needs than one that uses heavy trucks for interstate commerce. A local independent insurance agent can help you find a competitively priced policy that meets your state’s coverage requirements.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Gulfport to begin comparing customized commercial vehicle insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.