People put a lot of time and effort into planning special events like festivals and black-tie fundraisers. Unfortunately, problems sometimes occur during these events that can lead to costly lawsuits for the event organizers. That’s why event liability insurance can prove so beneficial.
Independent insurance in Mississippi can answer your insurance-related questions and can help you find a suitable and competitively priced policy to cover your upcoming event. Talk to an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized quotes from a few competing providers.
What Is Event Liability Insurance?
Event liability insurance (aka “special event insurance” or “one-day event insurance”) is a specialized, temporary policy that is designed to shield you from liability risks when you are hosting a large gathering or special event.
Examples of kinds of events that you may want to consider covering with this type of insurance include the following.
- Sporting events
When you are planning a special event, be sure to talk to an independent insurance agent in Mississippi for help finding suitable coverage.
Is Liability Insurance Required for Private Events in Mississippi?
Event liability insurance is not required by law in Mississippi, but it is often required by the venue in which your event is being held. For instance, if you are renting out a banquet hall for a retirement dinner, the hall may require you to purchase event liability insurance for that evening.
Whether or not it is required, these inexpensive policies can prove invaluable if an unexpected problem occurs during your event.
How Much Does Liability Insurance Cost for an Event in Mississippi?
Event liability insurance is typically very affordable. On average, a one-day event costs about $175 to insure. However, your event may cost significantly more or less than this amount to cover. Your rates will be based on factors like the following.
- The type of event you are insuring
- The number of guests you expect to attend your event
- How long your event will take place
- Whether alcohol will be provided at your event
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
To find out how much it will cost to cover your event, you can request customized quotes from a few insurance providers. Local independent agents can save you time by doing this on your behalf.
What Does Event Liability Insurance Cover?
There are a few different kinds of coverage that your event liability insurance can provide.
All policies will include general liability insurance: This can cover injuries, property damage, and illnesses (like food poisoning) that people at your event may experience while attending. It can also cover any damage your guests may cause to the venue where the event is being held.
In addition to general liability coverage, you may want to consider adding other kinds of liability insurance, such as the following.
- Liquor liability insurance: This can provide coverage for events where alcoholic beverages are sold. This may be necessary since Mississippi’s dram shop laws allow injured parties to sue a vendor that sold alcoholic beverages if an intoxicated patron caused them injuries or property damage.
- Garagekeepers insurance: This can provide coverage if you are offering valet parking services at your event. It can cover damage to your guests’ vehicles while they are in your parking attendant’s care or control.
- Cancellation insurance: This is not actually liability insurance, but some providers offer it as an option in your event liability policy. It can cover the costs associated with canceling or postponing your event if an unavoidable disaster like a hurricane or tornado makes it necessary.
A local independent agent can help you determine which, if any, available coverage options are a good fit for your event.
What Does Event Liability Insurance Not Cover?
Insurance companies will often exclude certain hazardous activities from their coverage. For instance, most policies exclude coverage for injuries sustained by individuals hired to perform at your event. It is also unlikely that your policy will cover injuries or property damage caused by the following.
- Animals at the event, such as for horseback riding
- Pyrotechnics / fireworks
- The use of firearms
- Hazardous entertainment activities like bungee jumping or aerial maneuvers
- Amusement rides and devices
- Athletic or sports participation
If your event will include hazardous activities like those listed above, be sure to consult an independent insurance agent for help determining whether any suitable supplemental coverage is available. That way you do not have to worry that your event is exposed to any significant coverage gaps.
How to Get the Best Liability Insurance for an Event in Mississippi
Local independent insurance agents can help you review policies and quotes from a few competing insurance companies so you can choose the policy that offers all the coverage you need at the most competitive price.
There are more than 200 independent agents in Mississippi, so it should be easy to find an insurance agent near you to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.