Columbus, MS Homeowners Insurance
(Find the best homeowners insurance policy for you.)
With nearly 24,000 residents, Columbus is home to over 8,000 homeowners. Many are attracted to this small city because of its low crime rate, good schools and large diversity. If you have bought a house in Columbus, then you should seriously consider purchasing a homeowners insurance policy to protect your investment.
Let an independent insurance agent help you find the best coverage for your Columbus home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Columbus, MS?
On average, homeowners in Mississippi pay more for their insurance policies. In Columbus, the rates tend to be lower than the state average. The yearly cost of home insurance:
- National average: $1,211
- Mississippi average: $1,537
- Columbus average: $1,390
Your actual rate in Columbus may be higher or lower than this average depending on what type of home you have, such as a condo, single-family home or manufactured house. Home insurance rates are formulated on a case-by-case basis. Each insurance company has its own way of calculating rates. It’s a smart idea to get quotes from a few different providers. Your cost for coverage will be based on factors like:
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Your credit score and claims history
- The size, age, building materials and value of your home
- Crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
What Kinds of Damage Does Columbus, MS Homeowners Insurance Cover?
There are many ways that your Columbus home may sustain damage. Hazards like residential fires, hurricanes, tornadoes and severe storms can have an impact on homes in your area.
Disaster Events in Columbus
- Number of recorded disasters in Mississippi since 1953: 83
- Number of tornadoes in Mississippi per year: 43
- Most common cause of disasters: Severe Storm
- Amount of property damage in Mississippi: $212,070,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
It is important for Columbus homeowners to invest in coverage for their property. It can end up saving you huge financial costs when a disaster strikes.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Burglary Rate in Columbus
The burglary rate in Mississippi tends to be higher than the national average. However, in Columbus the rates tend to be lower than the state and national averages.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Mississippi: 6.98
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Columbus: 3.36
While the risk of burglary in this city is quite low, if your house is broken into, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as any damage the burglar may have caused.
If you own any valuable possessions, you may need to add special endorsements to your homeowners insurance policy. This is to ensure that they will be fully covered in the event of a burglary.
What about Flood Damage in Columbus, MS?
Mississippi residents pay an average of $728 out of pocket for yearly flood damage. Sadly, your standard homeowners insurance will not provide coverage for damage from floods, even if it results from hurricanes. Your flood insurance policy will cover direct losses caused by surface flooding and other things, such as:
- Your home and its foundation
- Electrical and plumbing systems
- Kitchen appliances like your refrigerator, stove and dishwasher
- Debris removal
With floods common for Columbus residents, it is important to get covered sooner rather than later. Flood insurance can take up to 30 days to go into effect, so don’t wait for flooding to be imminent.
Do Columbus, MS Homeowners Need Liability Protection?
One of the most crucial parts of your homeowners insurance policy is the homeowners liability section. This policy is designed to cover court costs, legal defense fees and financial damages if you are held liable.
Examples of times that this insurance provides coverage include:
- If your pets or children cause injuries or property damage to others
- If you accidentally injure someone while you are away from home, like in a basketball game
- If someone is injured on your property and it can be blamed on negligence on your part
Accidents happen, and sometimes these errors in judgment lead to third-party injuries. If you are to blame, you’ll be expected to cover the cost. With homeowners insurance, you will be protected.
Why Work with an Independent Agent in Columbus, MS?
Independent insurance agents understand the risks you face as a homeowner in Columbus. These agents will make it easy to find the best coverage option available for you. They contact insurance companies and do the comparison shopping for you. Find an insurance agent in or near Columbus to get started.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.