St. Joseph, MO, has a population of 74,875 residents who can use the roads at any given time. When you own a car in any state, you'll need adequate coverage to protect your family and yourself. Auto insurance is mandated in almost every state, and Missouri is one of them.
An independent insurance agent can help with insurance and premium options. They work with multiple carriers so that you have a choice. Get connected with a local expert to find coverage that won't break the bank.
What Is Car Insurance?
In St. Joseph, MO, the law requires you to carry auto insurance to use the streets. If you own and operate a vehicle, it's important to understand what goes into each coverage and policy option. You'll want to be fully prepared when an accident occurs, and the only way to do that is by being proactive.
Your auto policy will provide coverage for the following
- Property: Coverage for damage to vehicles and outside property
- Liability: Coverage for bodily injury or property damage
- Medical: Coverage for your medical expenses due to an at-fault loss
What Does Car Insurance Cover in St. Joseph, MO?
Your St. Joseph, MO, auto insurance will come with liability coverage automatically included at the state minimum limits. Any other insurance coverages will have to be added for adequate protection. In the meantime, check out some options.
- Gap coverage: Pays for the difference in your remaining loan balance and the market value when a total loss occurs.
- Tow coverage: Will pay for a tow truck to tow a covered auto due to a loss.
- Rental car coverage: Will provide reimbursement for a rental car when your covered auto is damaged.
- Comprehensive coverage: Will pay for property damage to your vehicle that is hit by an unavoidable object.
- Collision coverage: Pays for property damage to your car in the event of a crash.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in St. Joseph, MO?
When you are shopping for car insurance, the price will matter. There are numerous ways companies figure your costs, and they all depend on your specific exposures. Check out rating factors the carriers use below in St. Joseph, MO.
- The coverages you choose
- Policy discounts that may apply
- Your claims history
- Your insurance score
- Catastrophes reported
- Local crime rates
- Your motor vehicle record (MVR)
One way to get instant savings is by asking your agent to bundle your policies. When you put your auto and home insurance with the same carrier, you will get a significant discount on coverage. Normally, companies give a 30% price reduction or more across all your policies.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in MO
The minimum limits of liability will automatically be included on your auto policy in St. Joseph, MO. One coverage that is also a requirement here is uninsured/underinsured motorists protection. Let's look at the facts.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists or UM/UIM: A minimum liability of $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident/ $10,000 property damage.
- UM/UIM: This coverage will pay for your expenses arising from an accident with an uninsured at-fault driver.
- National average of uninsured drivers: 13.0%
- Missouri average of uninsured drivers: 14.0%
The local crime rate in St. Joseph will affect your auto insurance premiums. When you are shopping for coverage, it's essential to understand how your limits work. Let's take a peek at the theft rates per 100,000 people.
- National average: 228.9
- Missouri average: 323.4
- St. Joseph average: 842.2
The rate of auto thefts in St. Joseph is over double the state and national averages. This makes it pretty necessary to have coverage in the event your vehicle gets stolen. One way to be proactive is by obtaining comprehensive insurance. This coverage added to your auto policy will ensure you have protection for a break-in.
How a Local Agent Can Help Find Insurance
The right coverage for your belongings and assets can make all the difference in the world. When you are shopping rates, it's good to get multiple quotes to know what's out there. Your auto insurance policy will help cover your exposure on the road.
An independent insurance agent will be able to find protection for a fair price, so you don't have to. They will do the shopping on your behalf and review your coverage for free. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com to start saving today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.