Drivers in Lexington, Nebraska are required by state law to carry car insurance. This insurance can protect your finances by covering many of the costs associated with vehicle collisions. From fender benders on N. Adams Street to major accidents on the Lincoln Highway, a reliable auto insurance policy can give you peace of mind by protecting your assets.
Finding a reliable policy at a great price is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents are dedicated to helping people in their communities find the best and most affordable insurance coverage. Contact an insurance agent in or near Lexington to learn more.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Owners in Lexington?
Vehicle owners in Lexington are required to carry car insurance that meets or exceeds the coverage requirements mandated by the state of Nebraska. To do so, each policy must include, at a minimum:
- Liability insurance: This is designed to cover injuries and property damage sustained by others if you are responsible for an accident.
- Bodily injury liability: Your policy must include a minimum of $25,000 per person; $50,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability: Your policy must include a minimum of $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This is designed to cover your damage and injuries if an uninsured or underinsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle.
The liability coverage requirements set by the state may be high enough to cover the costs associated with most vehicle accidents. However, if you cause a serious collision — particularly one that involves fatalities or major injuries — the associated costs are very likely to exceed these limits. If that happens, you will be required to make up the difference out-of-pocket.
To protect their finances, many drivers in Lexington have chosen to purchase more liability coverage than the state requires. For those who wish to have even more liability coverage than their auto policies allow, umbrella insurance policies provide an affordable way to further boost their liability protection.
Independent insurance agents in Lexington can help you compare rates for different levels of liability coverage so you can determine how much protection you can reasonably afford.
What Else Can Lexington Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the liability and uninsured motorist coverage, your car insurance policy must include, you have a number of coverage options available to choose from. These include:
- Collision insurance: This is designed to cover the cost of repairing collision-related damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover the cost of repairing non-collision-related damage to your vehicle.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is designed to cover the treatment of injuries that you or your passengers may sustain in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This is designed to cover the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while covered damage to your vehicle is being repaired.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn how much it will cost to add each of these optional coverage offerings to your Lexington car insurance policy.
Do All Car Insurance Policies Cover against Auto Theft?
The car theft rate in Nebraska is lower than the national average, and in Lexington, the risk is even lower. There are about a dozen cars stolen in this city each year.
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Nebraska number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.26
- Lexington number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 1.37
Of course, you probably drive to places outside of Lexington on occasion, so it is important to be aware of this risk and to take precautions to avoid having your car stolen. These include parking in well-lit areas, keeping your car securely locked when not in use, and using an anti-theft device.
But sometimes, nothing can stop a determined car thief. It is therefore important that you are aware that not all car insurance policies cover against car theft. Your policy will only cover you against this risk if it includes comprehensive insurance.
This optional insurance is designed to cover Lexington vehicle owners against non-collision-related damage. Examples of covered hazards include hail, falling trees, floods, fires, and property crimes. Be sure to ask your local insurance agent for more information about how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Lexington, NE?
The average cost of car insurance in Nebraska is lower than in most states. In Lexington, rates tend to be a bit higher, but are still well below the national average. You can be certain you are getting your coverage at a competitive price when you compare a few customized quotes before making a purchase.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Nebraska average cost per year: $1,086
- Lexington average cost per year: $1,128
Every insurance company uses its own proprietary method to assess risk and calculate rates. This means that each will quote you a different price for coverage. Factors that can influence your costs include:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle you are insuring
- Your driving record and claims history
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability coverage you are purchasing
- The optional coverage types you wish to include in your policy
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance
A local independent insurance agent can work with several different insurance companies to help you find a reliable policy at a great price.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Lexington?
There is no reason why you should be paying more than you have to for your auto insurance coverage. Independent insurance agents in Lexington can help you find a competitively priced policy that meets Nebraska’s requirements, as well as any of your additional coverage needs.
Because independent agents are able to work with several different insurance providers, they can obtain a selection of customized quotes for you to review. That way, you can be sure you are getting your policy at a great price.
Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.