Drivers in Scottsbluff, Nebraska are required to carry car insurance. This is important because accidents can happen to anyone, especially when road conditions are hazardous. Whether you are involved in a minor fender bender on 20th Street or a major accident on the Beltline Highway, a solid auto insurance policy can protect your finances by covering the resultant damages.
Independent Insurance Agents in Scottsbluff can save you time and money when you are searching for the best car insurance policy. These agents can answer your insurance-related questions and help you find an affordable policy that meets all of your coverage needs. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Scottsbluff, NE?
Overall, car insurance rates in the state of Nebraska tend to be lower than the national average, and in Scottsbluff, the average costs are lower still. The figures below can give you a general idea of how much a car insurance policy may cost you.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Nebraska average cost per year: $1,086
- Scottsbluff average cost per year: $1,021
Your actual auto insurance costs will be based on a variety of factors, including information about your vehicle and details about you and other licensed drivers in your household. Rates can also be influenced by how much liability coverage you are purchasing, whether you are including any optional coverage, and the amount of your deductible.
Every insurance company has its own unique way of assessing risk and calculating rates, so you are likely to get a different quote from each company you contact. That is why comparison shopping can prove beneficial. When you compare a variety of rates, you can choose the policy that gives you the coverage you want at the most competitive price. Independent agents in Scottsbluff make comparison shopping easy and stress-free.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Owners in Scottsbluff?
As a vehicle owner in Scottsbluff, you are required to carry car insurance that meets or exceeds the state’s coverage requirements. All auto insurance policies in Nebraska must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Liability insurance: Covers third-party injuries and damages that you may cause to others if you are responsible for a collision.
- Bodily injury liability: You must have at least $25,000 in coverage per person and $50,000 in coverage per accident.
- Property damage liability: You must have at least $25,000 in coverage per accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: covers your damages and injuries if you are in a collision that was caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Be aware that if you cause a major collision that results in significant property damage or serious injuries to others, your costs are likely to exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. In that case, you would be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket; and, for many Scottsbluff residents, this can be financially devastating.
That is why many in this city opt to purchase auto liability coverage in amounts that are significantly higher than what the state requires. If you have a lot to lose, you may also want to consider purchasing an umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is an affordable way to get even more liability coverage than your car insurance provider can offer. A local independent agent can help you compare costs for different levels of liability coverage so that you can find out how much you can reasonably afford.
What Else Can Scottsbluff Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage required by the state, your car insurance provider will offer a variety of coverage options that you can choose to add to your policy. These include:
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover non-collision damages to your vehicle, such as may occur due to hail, floods, or structure fires. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Collision insurance: This is designed to cover collision-related damages to your vehicle, even if the collision was your fault. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is designed to cover the cost of medical treatment for injuries sustained by you or your passengers in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This is designed to cover the cost of roadside assistance in the event that your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to cover the gap between what you still owe for your vehicle and what it is actually worth in the event that it is totaled in a covered event. This is particularly important when insuring new cars, which tend to depreciate in value more rapidly than loan payments can compensate for.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while yours is being repaired due to damages sustained in a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about these coverage options and to discover how much each will cost you to add to your policy.
Is Your Car Covered Against Auto Theft?
The good news is that the overall auto theft rate in Nebraska is lower than the national average, and in Scottsbluff, the risk is even lower. This is not to say it does not exist. There are approximately 25 car thefts reported in this city in a typical year.
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Nebraska number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.26
- Scottsbluff number of thefts per 1,0000 vehicles: 1.20
Be aware that you can only be reimbursed for loss due to car theft if your policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision” coverage. This optional coverage can also reimburse you for loss or damage caused by other risks such as fires, floods, and hailstones.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Scottsbluff, NE?
Independent agents make it easy to find the best car insurance. An agent near you can answer your insurance-related questions and can provide you with a variety of customized quotes so you can be sure you are getting your policy at a competitive price. Your agent may even be able to help you earn significant discounts by bundling your auto coverage with another policy such as home insurance or renters insurance.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Scottsbluff to learn more and get started.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.