As a vehicle owner in York, NE, you are required by state law to have car insurance. This insurance can protect your finances by covering many of the costs associated with vehicle collisions. From fender benders on Lincoln Avenue to multi-car collision on I-80, a reliable auto insurance policy can give you peace of mind by protecting your finances. Finding a reliable policy at a great price is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents are dedicated to helping people in their communities find the best and most affordable insurance coverage. Contact an insurance agent in or near York to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in York, NE?
The average cost of car insurance in Nebraska is lower than in most states, and in York, the average rate is even lower. You can be sure that you are getting your coverage at a competitive price when you compare a few customized quotes before making a purchase.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Nebraska average cost per year: $1,086
- York average cost per year: $1,060
Every insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and calculating rates. Because of this, you will most likely be quoted a different price for coverage by each of the companies you contact. Factors that can influence your costs include:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- The amount of liability coverage you are purchasing
- The optional coverage types you wish to include in your policy
- Your driving record and claims history
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance
A local independent insurance agent can work with a variety of insurance companies to help you find a reliable policy at a great price.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Owners in York?
Vehicle owners in York are required to carry car insurance that meets or exceeds Nebraska’s minimum coverage requirements. To do so, each policy must include, at a minimum:
- Liability insurance: This is designed to cover injuries and property damage sustained by others if you are responsible for an accident.
- Bodily injury liability: Your policy must include a minimum of $25,000 per person; $50,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability: Your policy must include a minimum of $25,000 per accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This is designed to cover your damage and injuries if an uninsured or underinsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle.
The liability coverage requirements set by the state are typically high enough to cover the costs associated with most vehicle accidents. But if you cause a serious collision — particularly one that results in fatalities or serious injuries — your liability costs are very likely to exceed what a minimum-coverage policy can cover. If that happens, you will be required to make up the difference out-of-pocket. That is why many drivers in York purchase more liability coverage than the state requires.
For those who wish to have even more liability coverage than their auto policies will allow, an umbrella insurance policy provides an affordable way to further boost their liability protection. Independent insurance agents in York can help you compare rates for different levels of liability coverage so you can determine how much protection you can reasonably afford.
What Else Can York Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the liability and uninsured motorist coverage that is required by the state, there are several optional coverage types that you can include in your policy. Examples are:
- Collision insurance: This is designed to cover the cost of repairing collision-related damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover the cost of repairing non-collision-related damage to your vehicle.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is designed to cover medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This is designed to cover the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while damage to your vehicle is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn how much each of these optional coverage offerings will cost you if you choose to add them to your York car insurance policy.
Do All Car Insurance Policies Cover against Auto Theft?
The car theft rate in Nebraska is lower than the national average, but the rate is much higher in the city of York. There are about twenty cars stolen in this city each year.
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Nebraska number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.26
- York number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 5.26
You can take precautions to avoid having your car stolen. These include parking in well-lit areas, keeping your car securely locked when not in use, and using an anti-theft device. Sometimes, though, nothing can stop a determined car thief. It is therefore important that you are aware that not all car insurance policies cover against car theft. Your policy will only cover you against this risk if it includes comprehensive insurance, which is optional, though often required by lenders. Be sure to ask your local insurance agent for information about how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in York, NE?
Don’t pay more than you have to for your auto insurance coverage. Independent insurance agents in York can help you find a competitively priced policy that meets or exceeds Nebraska’s minimum requirements as well as your own personal coverage needs. Because independent agents are able to work with several different insurance companies, they can obtain a selection of customized quotes for you to review. That way, you can be sure you are getting your policy at a great price.
Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.