Vehicle owners in Kernersville, NC are required to have car insurance. Whether you find yourself involved in a fender bender on E. Bodenhamer Street or in a serious collision on the Salem Parkway, a solid auto insurance policy can prevent you from experiencing large financial losses as a result.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an insurance agent in Kernersville to learn more, and you can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Kernersville, NC?
You may be happy to learn that the average cost of car insurance in North Carolina is lower than the national average. Shopping around and comparing rates lets you be sure you are getting your coverage at a competitive price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
You can expect that the quotes you get from insurance companies will differ, not just from the average rate listed above, but from each other. This is because rates are calculated on a case-by-case basis, and each insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and assigning rates.
Your quotes will be based on a number of factors such as:
- The make, model, trim, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record, including moving violations and accidents
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
- The size of your deductible
If you are bundling your car insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance, you can often get significant discounts on each of your policies. You may also qualify for other discounts, such as if you have a good driving record or if a teenage driver in your household is a student with good grades.
Let a local independent insurance agent help you compare prices and ensure that you receive all discounts for which you qualify so that you can get the coverage you need at a competitive price.
What Does Kernersville Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies provide a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a resident of Kernersville, your policy must meet or exceed North Carolina’s minimum coverage requirements.
This state requires drivers to carry liability insurance and uninsured motorist insurance. However, if you are still paying for your car, your lender is likely to require you to carry comprehensive and collision insurance as well.
You can expect your car insurance provider to offer the following types of coverage:
- Liability insurance (required): This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include bodily injury liability coverage of at least $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident, and property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (required): This pays for your own injuries and property damage if you are in a collision that was caused by an uninsured, under-insured, or hit and run driver. Your policy must include bodily injury coverage of at least $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident, and property damage coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
- Collision insurance (partially optional): This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance (partially optional): This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision event such as a flood, falling object, or garage fire. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Medical payments insurance (optional): This covers your necessary medical treatment if you are injured in a collision for which you were at fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing (optional): This pays for the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or your engine overheats.
- Rental reimbursement coverage (optional): This pays for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following damage caused by a covered event.
Talk to your insurance agent for help determining how much liability coverage you can reasonably afford and to discuss which coverage options may be right for you.
Why Is Uninsured Motorist Insurance So Important?
Driving without insurance is illegal in North Carolina. If you are caught driving an uninsured vehicle, you can be charged with a Class 3 misdemeanor and face fines up to $150, fees of up to $50, probation up to 45 days, and the suspension of your vehicle’s plates and registration for up to 30 days.
If you are involved in a collision while driving without insurance, you can also lose your driver’s license for up to one year.
Despite this, more than one out of 20 drivers you are sharing the roads within this state are operating uninsured vehicles.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of North Carolina drivers who are uninsured: 6.5%
Uninsured motorist insurance lets you rest assured that if an uninsured, under-insured, or hit-and-run driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, you will receive the compensation you are due without needing to go through expensive lawyers or time-consuming lawsuits.
Although this coverage is optional in many states, it is required in North Carolina. Fortunately, because of the relatively low rate of uninsured drivers in this state, this mandatory coverage is not overly expensive.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Kernersville?
The auto theft rate in North Carolina is lower than the national average, and in Kernersville, the risk is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 40 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.70
- Kernersville auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.59
Although the risk is relatively low, it is important to be aware that in order for you to be reimbursed if your vehicle is stolen, your car insurance policy must include comprehensive coverage, which is optional.
If you are still paying for your car, you probably already have this coverage. If not, talk to your insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this important “other than collision” coverage to your Kernersville car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Kernersville, NC?
Independent agents can be a great resource when you are looking for the best and most affordable car insurance policy in Kernersville. These experienced agents can explain your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you review offerings from multiple providers.
Be sure you are choosing a policy that offers you the best value for your money. Contact an independent insurance agent with an office near you to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.