Accidents sometimes happen, even to the most experienced drivers. That why vehicle owners in Matthews are required to carry car insurance. Whether you are involved in a fender bender on Independence Boulevard or find yourself in a serious collision on I-485, a good auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing a large financial loss as a result.
Finding the best and most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent agent. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of top-rated providers. Find an independent insurance agent with an office near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Matthews, NC?
The average cost of car insurance in North Carolina is lower than the national average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
Keep in mind, however, that this state average can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs can vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several specific factors. Your quoted price can be affected by considerations like:
- Information about the vehicles you are insurance (e.g., year, make, model, and trim)
- Your age, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and the driving history of other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability coverage you are purchasing
- The optional coverage you are including in your policy
- The size of your deductible
- Your claims history and credit score
You can usually get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance. Many insurance companies also offer other ways to save money like good student discounts, safe driver discounts, and low mileage discounts.
Let an independent insurance agent in Matthews simplify the process of comparison shopping by doing the legwork for you. That way, you can easily compare customized quotes so you can be sure you are getting the coverage you need at a great price.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in North Carolina?
Every state has its own minimum coverage requirements for auto insurance. In North Carolina, all car insurance policies must include:
- Liability insurance: This provides coverage for other people’s injuries and property damage if you are responsible for a collision.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This provides coverage for injuries and property damage sustained by you and members of your household if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident that was caused by an uninsured driver.
Your Matthews car insurance policy must meet or exceed the following minimum coverage requirements:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist property damage insurance: $25,000 per accident
If you want even more liability coverage than your car insurance policy can provide, a local independent agent can also help you purchase an affordable umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is a great way to boost all of your liability coverage.
What Else Can Matthews Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, your car insurance provider will offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Matthews auto insurance policy. These options include:
- Collision insurance: This provides coverage for the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance: This provides coverage for the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision event like a hurricane or hailstorm. Like collision insurance, this coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle or by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Medical payments insurance: This provides coverage for your medical bills if you or members of your household are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Rental car reimbursement: This provides coverage for the cost of renting a vehicle while yours is being repaired due to damage caused by a covered event.
- Gap insurance: This bridges the gap between what your car is currently worth and what you currently owe for it. That way, if the vehicle is totaled, you will not continue to owe car payments for it. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be particularly valuable during the first few years of new-car ownership.
- Roadside assistance & towing: This provides coverage for the cost of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options are a good fit for you.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Matthews?
Driving without insurance is illegal in North Carolina. If caught, you can be charged with a Class 3 misdemeanor and can face penalties that include:
- A fine ranging from $50 to $150
- The suspension of your vehicle’s registration and plates for up to 30 days
- The need to pay a reinstatement fee of $50
- Probation for up to 45 days
Additionally, if you are involved in a collision while driving an uninsured vehicle, you can lose your driver’s license for up to one year. Nonetheless, some drivers in this state are operating uninsured vehicles anyway.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of North Carolina drivers who are uninsured: 6.5%
If you are in a collision that was caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you for any necessary medical treatment as well as your property damage. However, this money can be extremely difficult to collect, especially if the at-fault driver simply has no money or assets and cannot pay.
That is why uninsured motorist insurance, which is required in North Carolina, is so beneficial.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can receive timely compensation for your injuries and property damage without the need to take legal action. After compensating you, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed from the uninsured driver and will absorb the losses if unsuccessful.
Does Matthews Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of North Carolina is lower than the national rate, and in Matthews, the risk is even lower. Residents of this city report about 50 vehicle thefts in an average year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.70
- Matthews auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.61
Be aware that you can only get compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in another non-collision event like a hailstorm, hurricane, or garage fire.
If you are still paying for your car, chances are good you have this coverage already. If not, talk to a local independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost for you to include comprehensive coverage in your Matthews car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Matthews, NC Help You?
You can ask a local independent agent for help when you are looking for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you the coverage you want at the best available price.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Matthews to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized auto insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.