The county seat of North Carolina’s Onslow County, Jacksonville is home to about 70,000 people. This rapidly growing city is home to the United States Marine Corps’ and New River Air Station, and Camp Lejeune. If you are among the proud property owners in this coastal city, you will want to be sure that your house is covered by a reliable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Jacksonville home. Contact an insurance agent with an office near you to start comparing a selection of customized homeowners insurance quotes from a variety of top-rated insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Jacksonville, NC?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in North Carolina is lower than the national average. And in Jacksonville, rates are even lower. As this city continues to grow and new homes are built, however, this average rate is expected to rise.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,075
- Jacksonville average yearly premium: $879
Your actual cost for home insurance coverage is likely to be different from the average listed above. This is because rates are calculated individually based on a number of considerations. Your costs can be determined using factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- The type of house you are insuring (i.e., detached single-family home, condo, mobile home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories your house has
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Every insurance company has its own way of calculating rates. Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for your money. Independent agents in Jacksonville make comparison shopping easy.
Jacksonville Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against financial losses related to many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Jacksonville. This includes everything from accidents, like a fire started by an unattended candle, to natural disasters like hurricanes and tropical storms.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
It is important to be aware that although hurricane damage is covered by your home insurance, the flood damage they usually bring is not. Many residents of Jacksonville experienced significant flood damage in 2018 when Hurricane Florence stalled and dumped more than 20 inches of rain on this city.
Local independent insurance agents are aware of the risk that flooding plays in Jacksonville. These agents can help you protect your finances by finding you an affordable flood insurance policy that you can use to supplement your home insurance coverage.
Homeowners Insurance Covers against Burglaries in Jacksonville
The burglary rate in North Carolina is much higher than the national average. Although the risk in Jacksonville is lower than the state average, it is still higher than the national rate. Residents of Jacksonville report about 300 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 7.10
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Jacksonville: 5.65
Your homeowners insurance provider can reimburse you for loss or damage caused by a burglary, but you will need to cover your deductible first. It is therefore in your best interest to take preventative steps — like putting lights on timers when you are away and keeping doors and windows securely locked — in order to reduce the likelihood that burglars will target your home.
Home security systems are highly effective theft deterrents. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have them installed in their houses. A local independent insurance agent can help you be sure that you get any home insurance policy discounts to which you are entitled.
Liability Insurance Protection for Jacksonville Homeowners
In addition to covering your property, your homeowners policy also provides you with personal liability insurance. This coverage is designed to absorb the various expenses (e.g., court costs, legal defense fees, and damages) you may accrue if you are responsible for third-party injuries or damages.
Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage can protect you include:
- A guest in your home trips over loose carpeting and is severely injured
- Your child accidentally damages a neighbor’s property while playing
- Your dog breaks loose and bites someone
- You accidentally cause an injury to another while away from home, such as while playing basketball at the Jacksonville Commons Recreational Complex
- You are accused of slander because of something you wrote on social media
If you want even more liability coverage than your home insurance provider can provide, you may also want to also consider purchasing umbrella insurance. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage. Your local independent insurance agent can help you find a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy.
Insurance for Jacksonville Residents with Vacation Homes or Second Homes
Maybe you own a vacation house in the Appalachians. Or perhaps you have invested in a second house that you rent out to young families. Whatever your reasons, if you own more than one residential property, you will need to insure all your houses with appropriate homeowners insurance policies.
A house that is not your primary home typically has additional risk factors that insurance companies will need to take into consideration when calculating rates. In some cases, specialized coverage may be required. For example:
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property crimes and weather- and animal-related damages. Vacant home insurance may be required when the property is not in use.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have low contents coverage needs but high liability risks. These properties need the specialized coverage that can only come from a landlord insurance policy. This type of policy may be required by your insurer.
A local independent agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your properties and can assist you with finding the best and most affordable insurance policies to cover each of them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Jacksonville?
The easiest way to find a dependable homeowners insurance policy at a great price is by working with an independent agent. These agents work for you, not for an insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
Independent agents in Jacksonville are ready to help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers.