Hilton Head Island is home to about 37,000 full time residents. Of course, during its peak vacation times, this resort town can accommodate as many as 150,000 people. If you are among those who own a house in this beautiful city, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable homeowners insurance policy.
Local independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your house in Hilton Head. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Hilton Head, SC?
The average cost of home insurance in this state is slightly higher than the national average, but on Hilton Head Island, the average cost is much higher. This is mostly due to the large number of high-value homes in the area and the high risk of hurricane damage along the Eastern Seaboard.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- South Carolina average yearly premium: $1,284
- Hilton Head average yearly premium: $2,575
Of course, your actual homeowners insurance quotes are likely to be different from this average rate. This is because costs are calculated individually according to several different factors. These can include:
- The age, size, and value of your home
- The number of stories your house has
- Whether your house is on stilts and includes hurricane shutters
- The materials used in the construction of your house and the age of your roof
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance, business insurance, or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes allows you to choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the coverage you need at the lowest price. Independent insurance agents in Hilton Head make comparison shopping easy.
What Kinds of Damage Are Covered by Hilton Head Home Insurance?
Home insurance policies are designed to cover your property against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Hilton Head. This includes risks ranging from fires to property crimes to severe weather events. Dwelling insurance covers the structure of your house, while contents insurance covers the personal belongings inside it.
Catastrophic Events in South Carolina
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Carolina: 28
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Carolina: 23.3
- Average amount of property damage per year in SC: $891.8 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Hilton Head residents are most at risk for damage caused by hurricanes, tropical storms, hail, and strong winds. Fortunately, these hazards are covered by most homeowners insurance policies. If a covered event leaves your home uninhabitable until repairs are made, your insurance can also cover costs associated with acquiring temporary alternative accommodations.
Be aware, however, that homeowners insurance does not cover damage caused by floods. Floods pose a very real risk on the island, particularly when hurricanes and tropical storms bring heavy rains and storm surges. To fully protect your property, your local insurance agent can help you supplement your home insurance with a flood insurance policy through the National Flood InsuranceProgram (NFIP).
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Hilton Head Homeowners?
We live in a litigious society, and liability lawsuits can be extremely expensive. That is why homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability coverage as a standard part of every policy.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal fees, and financial damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may be of use include:
- If a guest in your home is badly injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence on your part
- If you accidentally cause injuries to someone while you are away from your home, such as while hitting the links at the Robert Trent Jones oceanfront golf course
- If someone in your household, including your children or your pets, causes injuries or property damage to someone else
- If you are accused of libel due to something negative you posted online
Many property owners on Hilton Head Island wish to have more liability coverage than their home insurance policy can provide. If you are among them, you can supplement your policy with umbrella insurance. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage.
A local independent insurance agent can help you acquire all the liability coverage you want at a competitive price.
Does Hilton Head Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in South Carolina is higher than the national rate, but in Hilton Head, the rate is lower. That’s great news for area homeowners who are looking for affordable home insurance coverage.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Carolina: 6.65
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Hilton Head: 4.02
Being the victim of a property crime like burglary can be very stressful. However, you may gain some peace of mind by knowing that if your house is broken into, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused.
If you own any particularly valuable possessions, you may need to purchase special endorsements or riders in order for them to be fully covered under your contents coverage. A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that all of your property is fully insured.
What about Hilton Head Residents with Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you have a house nearby that you rent out to families. Perhaps you maintain a vacation home in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Or maybe your house on Hilton Head Island is your vacation home. Whatever your reasons, if you own more than one house, you will need to be sure that all of your properties are covered by appropriate homeowners insurance policies.
When you own a house that is not used as your primary residence, there are often additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. In some cases, you may be required to purchase specialized home insurance coverage.
- Vacation properties that are not used for several months out of the year typically have an increased risk of property damage. Your insurer may require you to have vacant home insurance during the times your vacation house is unoccupied.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks and a greater chance of sustaining serious property damage. These homes typically need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that all of your residential properties are properly covered by competitively priced policies.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Hilton Head, SC?
The easiest way to obtain the best and most affordable insurance for your Hilton Head home is by working a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are able to shop around in order to find you reliable coverage at the most competitive price.
Find an independent insurance agent with an office in Hilton Head to schedule a one-on-one consultation. You can start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.