A car accident can happen to anyone, especially in the winter when South Dakota’s roads can be slick with ice and sleet. That is why vehicle owners in Brandon are required by state law to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Holly Boulevard to multi-car collisions on I-90, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses due to collisions.
Finding the most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. An agent with an office in or near Brandon can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a policy that meets your coverage needs at a good price. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in South Dakota
As a resident of South Dakota, your car insurance policy must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Liability insurance: This covers injuries and property damage you cause others. You must have at least:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This covers injuries to you and your passengers if they are caused by an uninsured driver.
While a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. South Dakota’s minimum requirements are high enough to cover your liability costs for most collisions, but an accident involving serious injuries can easily exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. You would then need to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many vehicle owners in Brandon choose to purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than South Dakota requires. Some residents also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even higher levels of liability coverage. Your local independent insurance agent can help you get the liability coverage you need at a price you can afford.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Brandon, South Dakota?
Car insurance rates in the state of South Dakota tend to be lower than the national average, and in Brandon, the average cost is even lower. When you shop around for coverage, you can be sure you are getting your policy at the most competitive price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Brandon average annual car insurance cost: $1,058
Of course, car insurance costs are going to vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are calculated individually according to several different considerations. Examples of factors that can influence your costs include:
- The year, make, and model of your vehicle(s)
- Your age, gender, occupation, and driving history
- Your credits score and whether or not you are set up for automatic electronic payments
- Information about other drivers in your household unless they are specifically excluded from your coverage
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
Costs are based on risk, so if you have been driving for several years and have a clean driving record, your coverage is going to cost less than if you are a teenage driver insuring their first car. An independent insurance agent in Brandon can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of highly-rated insurers.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in South Dakota
If you are caught driving without insurance in South Dakota, you can face some pretty serious consequences. Penalties in this state include a $100 fine, 30 days in jail, the suspension of your driving privileges for up to one year, and the requirement to provide the state with proof of insurance for three years.
- How many US drivers are uninsured: 12.6%
- How many South Dakota drivers are uninsured: 7.7%
South Dakota has a relatively low uninsured driver rate. Still, about one in 13 motorists you are sharing the roads with is operating an uninsured vehicle. If one of these drivers crashes into your car, uninsured motorist insurance can ensure that you get the compensation you are entitled to quickly and easily. Uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states, but in South Dakota, it is required.
Auto Thefts in Brandon, South Dakota
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is significantly lower than the national average, and in Brandon, it is even lower. This city averages about one vehicular theft a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.74
- Brandon auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.10
Though the risk is very low, you should be aware that you cannot be compensated for a stolen vehicle unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to carry it until your vehicle is paid in full. Comprehensive insurance can be quite beneficial, particularly if your car has a high resale value. It covers more than just auto theft.
It can also reimburse you for loss and damage caused by other non-collision hazards such as falling trees, wind damage, floods, structure fires, and vandalism. For collision-related damages to your vehicle, you will need collision insurance. This provides coverage for damage repair or a totaled car, regardless of fault.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Brandon?
As a resident of Brandon, you can turn to a local independent agent for assistance when you are searching for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work a variety of insurance providers so they can help you find the most affordable policy that provides you with all of the coverage you need.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Brandon to learn more, and you can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.