Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes find themselves involved in collisions. That is why if you own a vehicle in Huron, you are required by state law to have auto insurance. From fender benders on Dakota Avenue to multi-car collisions on US-14, a reliable car insurance policy can shield you from a large financial loss in the aftermath of an accident. Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. An agent in Huron can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing great coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Huron, SD?
The average cost of car insurance in South Dakota is lower than the national average, and the rate in Huron is lower still.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Huron average annual car insurance cost: $1,168
Of course, your actual quoted rates may differ significantly from the city’s average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several different considerations. Examples of things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Details about other drivers in your household, unless they are specifically excluded from your coverage
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
Shopping around for coverage enables you to compare rates and find the policy that comes at the best price. An independent insurance agent in Huron can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of highly-rated insurance companies.
Car Insurance Requirements in South Dakota
Liability insurance is a vital part of any auto insurance policy. As a resident of Huron, your car insurance must adhere to South Dakota state law, which requires your policy to include, at the very least, the following:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000
- Uninsured motorist insurance coverage
While a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. If you cause a collision and your insurance limits are too low, you will be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket. That is why many Huron vehicle owners purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state of South Dakota requires.
What Else Can a Huron Car Insurance Policy Cover?
The following coverage is available to include in your policy, but is not required by South Dakota state law:
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This can cover medical expenses sustained by you and your passengers if you are responsible for a vehicle accident.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage: This can cover damage to your own vehicle, regardless of fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This can cover the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This can cover the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car.
Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about whether these coverage options are a good fit for you.
How Many Uninsured Motorists Are There in South Dakota?
Driving without insurance in South Dakota is illegal. If you are caught, you can face penalties that include a fine, jail time, and suspension of your driving privileges for up to one year. Even so, some people opt to drive uninsured vehicles in this state.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of South Dakota drivers who are uninsured: 7.7%
Unlike many other states, uninsured motorist insurance is required in South Dakota. If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver, your insurance company can provide you with the compensation you deserve right away, and will then attempt to collect the money owed from the at-fault driver.
Auto Insurance Covers against Vehicle Thefts in Huron
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is lower than the national average, and in Huron, the rate is even lower. There are about 10 car thefts reported in this city in a typical year. Of course, you probably don’t spend all of your time in Huron, so it’s best to be covered against potential car theft no matter where you travel.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.74
- Huron auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.75
Be aware that you cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you have it until your vehicle is paid in full. Just because the auto theft rate in Huron is low does not mean you should forgo this coverage. Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car when it is caused by a variety of other non-collision hazards such as falling trees or objects, heavy winds, floods, fires, and vandalism.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Huron, SD?
As a vehicle owner in Huron, you can turn to a local independent agent for help when you are searching for the right auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with a number of different insurance providers so they can assist you in finding the best and most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Huron to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.