Car Insurance in Fresno, CA
Experts break down car insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more.
Collisions can happen anywhere at any time, especially during snowy California winters. From an accident on the 180 to a car theft at the Fresno Art Museum, a robust car insurance policy can prevent residents of Fresno from facing large accident-related financial losses.
Local independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best car insurance policy in Fresno to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find a local independent insurance agent to learn more and start evaluating your customized policy options.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Fresno, CA?
In California, average car insurance costs are slightly higher than the national average. Therefore, taking the time to shop car insurance quotes and evaluate rates could potentially save you hundreds of dollars every year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- CA average annual car insurance cost: $1,643
The insurance quotes you will receive will differ from one company to another. This is because each insurance company has its own method to determine risk and calculate rates. Your quotes will be based on several factors such as the following:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you plan to insure
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you plan to purchase
- The coverage options you plan to include in your policy
By bundling your car insurance with homeowners insurance or renters insurance, you may qualify for major discounts on your auto insurance coverage. You may also qualify for other potential discounts if you are a safe driver or a student with excellent grades.
A local independent insurance agent will evaluate prices and find all the discounts for which you qualify so you can get the coverage you need at the most economical price.
What Car Insurance Coverages Are Required in Fresno, CA?
California requires that you obtain an insurance policy that meets or exceeds the state minimum coverage requirements. The state requires that you have bodily injury liability and property damage liability policies.
The minimum liability insurance requirements are as follows:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
In addition to liability insurance, the state accepts several forms of insurance:
- Cash deposit of $35,000 with DMV
- DMV-issued self-insurance certificate
- Surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California
Liability insurance reimburses third parties for personal injury and/or property damage. You should also be aware that comprehensive or collision insurance does not meet vehicle financial responsibility requirements.
What Other Car Insurance Should I Consider in Fresno, CA?
While you're required to have the state minimum insurance, if you are presently making payments on your car, your lender will probably require comprehensive and collision insurance as well as liability car insurance. Likewise, if you are leasing a vehicle, you will also need to carry comprehensive insurance.
Even if not required by your lender, you should consider the following optional insurance coverages for better protection:
- Comprehensive insurance: This insurance pays to repair or replace your car if lost or damaged due to an incidental event such as a flood, storm damage, or a wildfire.
- Collision insurance: If you're in an at-fault collision with another driver, this insurance pays for any damage that your vehicle sustains.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: Following a covered accident, this insurance pays for the cost of renting a replacement car while repairs are being made to your car.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This insurance pays for needed assistance if your car gets a flat tire or runs out of gas.
Talk to your local independent insurance agent for aid in determining how much liability insurance coverage you need and to discuss which coverage options are essential.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Fresno, CA?
Driving without liability car insurance is illegal in California. If caught, uninsured drivers can face the following consequences:
- A fine ranging from $100 to $450 for first offense
- A fine ranging from $200 to $500 for the second offense within three years
- Fees and penalty assessments of $900 to $2,500
- DMV can suspend a driver’s license for up to four years
- DMV can suspend your vehicle registration
The rate of uninsured drivers in California is slightly higher than the national average, and good reason to consider purchasing uninsured motorist coverage.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of CA drivers who are uninsured: 15.2%
Uninsured motorist insurance will pay for any damage to your vehicle if you're in an accident with an uninsured driver.
What Is the Auto Theft Rate in Fresno, CA?
The auto theft rate in California, including Fresno, is much higher than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 2.2
- California auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 3.9
- Fresno auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 4.4
While other cities in California are at higher risk of auto theft, the state as a whole has more cars stolen annually than any other state. It is essential to know that you can only be compensated for a car theft if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage.
This optional coverage may also cover an extensive range of non-collision damage such as that caused by floods, fallen trees, and large hailstones.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Fresno, CA?
Insurance companies vary in the way they calculate premiums and handle insurance claims. That's why it's important to shop multiple quotes when looking for the best car insurance companies in Fresno, CA.
An independent insurance agent is well versed in local car insurance companies. They will help you shop quotes and make sure you select a reputable company with affordable rates.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Fresno, CA?
Local Independent insurance agents can be enormously advantageous when looking for the best car insurance in Fresno. These insurance experts can explain your coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you assess offerings from multiple insurance providers.
Contact an independent insurance agent, free of charge, and start comparing personalized car insurance quotes in Fresno, CA.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.