Fresno, CA, is located in the center of the San Joaquin Valley in the southern portion of California’s Central Valley. The city is a base for Yosemite National Park, with its giant rock formations and waterfalls. Fresno was named for the copious ash trees which line the San Joaquin River and is an economic center, with much of the surrounding areas in the Fresno region primarily tied to a substantial-scale agricultural production.
Collisions can happen anywhere at any time, especially during snowy California winters. From an accident on the 180 to a car theft at the Fresno Art Museum, a robust car insurance policy can prevent residents of Fresno from facing large accident-related financial losses.
Local independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find a local independent insurance agent in Fresno, CA, to learn more and start evaluating your customized policy options.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Fresno, CA?
In California, average car insurance costs are slightly higher than the national average. Therefore, taking the time to shop around and evaluate rates could potentially save you hundreds of dollars every year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,427
- CA average annual car insurance cost: $1,713
The insurance quotes you will receive will differ from one company to another. This is because each insurance company has their own method to determine risk and calculate rates. Your quotes will be based on several factors such as the following:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you plan to insure
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you plan to purchase
- The coverage options you plan to include in your policy
By bundling your car insurance with homeowners insurance or renters insurance, you may qualify for major discounts on your auto insurance coverage. You may also qualify for other potential discounts if you are either a safe driver or a student with excellent grades.
Allow a local independent insurance agent to help you evaluate prices and find all the discounts for which you qualify so you can get the coverage you need at the most economical price.
What Car Insurance Options Are Required and/or Optional in Fresno, CA?
Car insurance policies in California are a combination of both optional and required insurance coverage. California requires that you must obtain an insurance policy that meets or exceeds the state minimum coverage requirements. The following are forms of acceptable insurance:
- Motor vehicle liability insurance policy
- Cash deposit of $35,000 with DMV
- DMV-issued self-insurance certificate
- Surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California
Moreover, if you are presently making payments on your car, your lender will probably require comprehensive and collision insurance as well as liability car insurance. Likewise, if you are leasing a vehicle, you will also need to carry comprehensive insurance.
The minimum liability insurance requirements are as follows:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
Liability insurance reimburses third parties for personal injury and/or property damage. You should also be aware that comprehensive or collision insurance does not meet vehicle financial responsibility requirements.
The following insurance coverages are optional:
- Comprehensive insurance: (Partially optional) This insurance pays to repair or replace your car if lost or damaged due to an incidental event such as a flood, storm damage, or a wildfire.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: (Optional) Following a covered accident, this insurance pays for the cost of renting a replacement car while repairs are being made to your car.
- Roadside assistance and towing: (Optional) This insurance pays for needed assistance if your car gets a flat tire or runs out of gas.
Talk to your local independent insurance agent for aid in determining how much liability insurance coverage you need and to discuss which coverage options are essential.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Fresno, CA?
Driving without liability car insurance is illegal in California. If caught, uninsured drivers can face the following consequences:
- A fine ranging from $100 to $450 for first offense
- A fine ranging from $200 to $500 for the second offense within three years
- Fees and penalty assessments = $900 to $2500
- DMV can suspend a driver’s license for up to four years
- DMV can suspend your vehicle registration
This state has some of the lightest penalties for uninsured driving in the nation. It should therefore come as no surprise that it also has one of the highest percentages of uninsured drivers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of CA drivers who are uninsured: 15.2%
Fresno’s crime rate is 326, which is comparable to the US average. Fresno has seen increasing violent crimes and a decline in property crimes. In 2018, the property crime rate for Fresno, CA, was 294.9 compared to the US average of 189.3 per 100,000 vehicles. Most crimes are committed on Fridays, between 5 and 6 pm.
The auto theft rate in California is higher than the national average, and in Fresno, the risk is a bit lower.
- National auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 237.4
- California auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 392.4
- Fresno auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 228.9
While your risk of having your car stolen is fairly low in Fresno, it is essential to know that you can only be compensated for a car theft if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. This optional coverage may also cover an extensive range of non-collision damage such as that caused by floods, fallen trees, and large hailstones.
If you are still making payments or leasing your car, you almost certainly have comprehensive coverage already. If not, talk to your local independent insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this beneficial coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Fresno, CA?
Local Independent insurance agents can be enormously advantageous when looking for the best car insurance policy in Fresno. These insurance experts can explain your coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you assess offerings from multiple insurance providers.
Discover the numerous benefits of working with an independent agent. Contact a local independent insurance agent with an office near you, and start comparing personalized car insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.