While the two military bases in Panama City make the government this city’s largest employer, there are a large number of other business located here. From large industrial plants to small accounting firms run out of people’s homes, these companies can all benefit from the protections offered by a solid business insurance plan.
You have a lot of options when you are building an insurance policy package for your company. Local independent insurance agents can take away the guesswork and help you acquire comprehensive, yet affordable coverage. Find an insurance agent nearby in Panama City to start comparing customized business insurance quotes.
Why Is Liability Insurance So Important for Panama City Businesses?
The majority of liability lawsuits against businesses in the US result in judgments exceeding $1 million. When you look at the numbers, it’s easy to see why having business liability coverage can prove extremely beneficial to your company.
Commercial general liability insurance (CGL) is one of the most important coverages a business can have. It is part of all commercial insurance policies. CGL is designed to cover your business against the costs associated with many of the common liability risks it faces. Its main coverage components are:
- Premises liability insurance: This can cover third-party injuries, illnesses, and property damage if they occur as the result of an accident on your business premises.
- Product liability insurance: This can cover third-party injuries, illnesses, or property damage caused by defects in products your company produces, sells, or promotes.
- Advertising mishap liability insurance: This can cover against lawsuits due to copyright infringement, misleading pricing, and other illegal advertising practices.
Other types of commercial liability insurance that might be right for your particular Panama City business include:
- Cyber liability insurance: This can cover your business’s liabilities if hackers break into your computer system and steal sensitive customer data such as credit card numbers, Social Security numbers, and personal data.
- Commercial vehicle liability insurance: This can cover your business’s liability expenses if one of your drivers causes an accident while driving a company vehicle. It is required if your business owns and operates a vehicle or fleet of vehicles.
- Environmental liability insurance: This can cover clean-up costs and damages if an accident results in toxic substances used or produced by your company polluting the land, water, or air.
- Employment practices liability insurance: This can cover your business against accusations of illegal business practices such as wrongful termination, discrimination, breach of contract, and harassment.
These are just some of the many commercial liability products that are available to you. An independent insurance agent can help you identify all of your company’s various liability exposures and can recommend the appropriate insurance products to cover against them.
What Kinds of Property Does Panama City Business Insurance Cover?
Commercial property insurance can pay to repair or replace your business property if it is damaged or destroyed by a covered event. Covered assets include computers, office furniture, outdoor signs, display cases, inventory, supplies, tools, machinery, and more.
Adding inland marine insurance to your policy package can ensure that your portable business property is covered whenever it is in transit or stored at a job site. Bailee's insurance can cover your customers’ property when it is in your care, such as if they had entrusted you to clean or repair it.
Panama City businesses are most at risk for damage caused by such hazards as hurricanes, tropical storms, wildfires, and tornadoes. A fire or a tornado has the potential to destroy all of your business property, so it is important to ensure that your coverage levels are high enough.
Flood damage can also present a risk to Panama City businesses, particularly when hurricanes make their way into the Gulf of Mexico. Unfortunately, flood damage is not covered by business insurance, even when the flood is the direct result of a covered storm. For this, you will need to supplement your policy package with a commercial flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
A local insurance agent can help you get all the commercial property insurance your Panama City business needs.
How Can Business Interruption Insurance Benefit Businesses in Panama City, FL?
Business interruption insurance is designed to provide your company with a continuation of income if it is forced to close for an extended period due to damage caused by a covered event. This insurance enables your business to continue to pay regular monthly expenses such as loan payments and employee salaries until you can resume normal business operations.
Disasters in Florida
- Number of federally declared disasters in FL since 1953: 122
- Most common reasons for declared disasters: Wildfires and Hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes in FL per year: 54.6
If heavy winds from a hurricane cause widespread power outages that are not resolved for weeks, your business may not be able to operate. Business interruption insurance ensures that it will continue to have the revenue it needs during such times. Talk to a local independent insurance agent to learn more about this important coverage.
Does Your Panama City Business Need Workers’ Compensation Insurance?
If your employees are injured on the job or suffer from an occupational illness related to the work they do for you, your company is responsible for covering the associated expenses. Workers’ compensation insurance is designed to cover the cost of their medical treatment and lost wages.
In Florida, all construction companies with at least one employee, and all other businesses that have at least four full- or part-time employees, must purchase workers’ compensation insurance. There are a few exceptions. It is not necessary to buy coverage for:
- Sole proprietors
- Partners (unless in the construction industry)
- LLC members and corporate officers, but only if they choose to be exempt
The cost for workers’ compensation depends mainly on the types of jobs your employees do. Companies where employees have a high risk of sustaining serious injuries, such as construction and trucking businesses, will pay more for coverage than companies with a low risk of employee injuries, such as software firms and financial institutions.
Talk to a local insurance agent to learn more about purchasing workers’ compensation insurance for your Panama City business.
What about Insurance Products for Employee Benefits?
Human resources professionals have demonstrated through several studies that offering benefits such as paid vacation, life insurance, and health insurance can help your business attract and retain ideal employees.
- Annual amount spent on healthcare coverage by FL businesses: $3.13 billion
- Average annual cost of health care in FL: $5,409/person or $16,070/family
Unfortunately, rising health insurance costs can make shopping for employee coverage seem daunting. The good news is that independent insurance agents can help.
These agents can explain the various types of health insurance coverage that are available for you to choose from so you can make an informed decision about which is the best option for your employees. These agents can then shop around to help you find the kind of coverage you want at the most affordable rate.
If you are considering adding insurance products to your employee benefits package, be sure to consult a local independent insurance agent.
Why Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent in Panama City, FL?
Business owners in Panama City can benefit from working with a local independent insurance agent. These experienced insurance professionals can help you identify the various risks faced by your business, and can recommend the right insurance products to cover against those hazards.
Find an insurance agent in or near Panama City to discover how easy it can be to build a comprehensive, yet affordable, business insurance policy package.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.