Carbondale, IL, is a smaller town with roughly 28,599 residents who use the roadways. With 5,694,000 commercial truck registries per year in the state, protection is necessary. When you own a business in Carbondale, you may be required to carry commercial vehicle insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help with a commercial auto policy that won't impact your bottom line. Since coverage is state mandated, you'll need to make sure it complies with local and federal law. Connect with an expert to get customized quotes.
Why Do Carbondale, IL, Businesses Need Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
In Carbondale, IL, you are required by law to carry commercial vehicle insurance. The Illinois Department of Transportation has statistics on accidents and safe driving. According to their reports, here are some statistics on Illinois.
- 32% of Illinois based car accidents are speed related
- Roughly 772 car wrecks occur in Illinois each day
- 84,172 people were injured in Illinois car accidents
- 0.0009% of fatal accidents involve commercial trucks in Illinois
If your operation causes your drivers to leave state lines with loads, you'll have the below responsibilities.
- Your commercial vehicle policy will most likely have to meet state and federal laws.
- If you haul materials, they will need to be documented with the Department of Transportation (DOT) and your insurance carrier for rating purposes.
What Are the Commercial Vehicle Coverage Requirements in Carbondale, IL?
In Carbondale, IL, it's state mandated to carry the minimum limits of liability when you own and operate commercial autos. To avoid penalties or worse, make sure your coverage meets local and federal guidelines. Check out the state's requirements below.
Illinois's minimum liability requirements for commercial vehicles
- Bodily injury liability requirements: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability requirements: $20,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage requirements: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Illinois's minimum liability requirements per seating capacity
- 10-13 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $1,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 14-20 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $1,500,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 21-30 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $2,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 31+ people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $3,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
Other for-hire passenger vehicles, including medical transport: Bodily injury $250,000 / Property damage $50,000 or $300,000 Combined Single Limit (CSL)
Property carriers: $750,000 CSL
Tow truck operations: $500,000 CSL
Hazardous substance carriers: $1,000,000 to $5,000,000 CSL depending on specifics
How Much Does Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cost in Carbondale, IL?
Commercial auto insurance in Carbondale, IL, should only be about 5% of your overall expenses. Carriers will go off of various items when rating your policy. Check out the risk factors that companies use to determine your pricing below.
- Year, make, and model of all vehicles
- The radius in which you travel
- The number of drivers and their motor vehicle records
- What the vehicles are used for
- The coverage you choose
- Where you store the vehicles
- What safety measures you have in place
- The time of day or night these vehicles are driven
In addition to the items listed above, your company insurance score, loss history, and more will be considered. Carriers look at outside exposures like weather and crime to figure your costs. While there are areas you can improve, some are out of your control.
What Else Does Carbondale, IL, Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cover?
Liability only will be automatically included on your Carbondale commercial auto policy. Everything else that you want coverage for will have to be added. Take a look at the optional coverage choices below.
Towing and roadside assistance: This will pay for a tow to pick up your disabled commercial auto.
Rental car insurance: This covers the cost of renting a commercial vehicle while your company-owned auto is being repaired.
Uninsured motorist insurance: If your commercial auto is involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, this provides coverage for property damage and medical costs.
Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your commercial vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision accident.
Collision insurance: This will replace or repair your commercial auto that is damaged due to an accident.
Non-owned or hired auto liability insurance: If an employee or contractor uses a non-company-owned vehicle while doing business on your behalf, this will cover your exposure.
Why Work with an Independent Agent in Carbondale, IL?
When you're looking for commercial vehicle insurance in Carbondale, IL, you'll need to make sure coverage is sufficient. The state regulates this policy, and specific coverage is required. When you're tired of doing it on your own, consult with a professional.
An independent insurance agent can help find coverage for an affordable price. Since they work on your behalf, you'll save time and money. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com in minutes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.