Des Plaines, IL, has 58,193 residents that call it home. With over 5,694,000 commercial truck registries per year in the state, adequate protection is necessary. When you're a business owner in Des Plaines, commercial vehicle insurance can be mandatory.
An independent insurance agent will help your company find a policy that fits your budget. Commercial auto insurance is state-regulated and therefore needs to comply with local law. Get connected with an expert for quotes on coverage.
Why Do Des Plaines, IL Businesses Need Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
In Des Plaines, IL, commercial vehicle insurance is mandatory if you own and operate company vehicles. The Illinois Department of Transportation has numbers and prevention tips to help control road fatalities. Take a look at the numbers below:
- 32% of Illinois-based car accidents are speed-related.
- Roughly 772 car wrecks occur in Illinois each day.
- 84,172 people were injured in Illinois car accidents.
- 0.0009% of fatal accidents involve commercial trucks in Illinois.
When you drive vehicles across state lines for business, there are different requirements you'll need to meet:
- Your commercial vehicle policy will have to comply with both state and federal laws.
- If you haul materials, they will need to be documented with the Department of Transportation (DOT) and your insurance carrier for rating purposes.
How Much Does Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cost in Des Plaines, IL?
The price in premiums you'll pay for commercial auto insurance depends on a variety of risks. Carriers use your personal data and Des Plaines statistics to figure a rate. Check out the risk factors that companies use to determine your pricing below:
- Year, make, and model of all vehicles
- The radius in which you travel
- The number of drivers and their driving records
- What the vehicles are used for
- The coverage you choose
- Where you store the vehicles
- What safety measures you have in place
- The time of day or night these vehicles are driven
The construction laborers in the US account for 79 fatal accidents per year. The type of industry you're involved in will play a role in your costs. Outside factors like weather and local crime is another exposure carriers use.
What Are the Commercial Vehicle Coverage Requirements in Des Plaines, IL?
No matter where you own a business, you're likely to have insurance requirements that need to be met. Des Plaines, IL, mandates that every commercial auto policy must carry the minimum limits of liability. With 115 commercial truck fatalities in the state each year, you'll want proper protection. Check out the Illinois liability guidelines below:
Illinois minimum liability requirements for commercial vehicles:
- Bodily injury liability requirements: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability requirements: $20,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage requirements: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Illinois minimum liability requirements per seating capacity:
- 10-13 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $1,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 14-20 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $1,500,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 21-30 people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $2,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
- 31+ people seating capacity: bodily injury liability $3,000,000 / property damage liability $100,000
Other for-hire passenger vehicles, including medical transport: bodily injury $250,000 / property damage $50,000 or $300,000 combined single limit (CSL)
Property carriers: $750,000 CSL
Tow truck operations: $500,000 CSL
Hazardous substance carriers: $1,000,000 to $5,000,000 CSL depending on specifics
What Else Does Des Plaines, IL Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cover?
Commercial vehicle insurance in Des Plaines, IL, will come standard with minimum limits of liability. If you want coverage for your vehicles and more, it has to be added. Take a look at the optional coverage choices below:
- Uninsured motorist insurance: If your commercial auto is involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, this provides coverage for property damage and medical costs.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your commercial vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision accident.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This will pay for a tow to pick up your disabled commercial auto.
- Non-owned or hired auto liability insurance: If an employee or contractor uses a non-company-owned vehicle while doing business on your behalf, this will cover your exposure.
- Collision insurance: This will replace or repair your commercial auto that is damaged due to an accident.
- Rental car insurance: This covers the cost of renting a commercial vehicle while your company-owned auto is being repaired.
Why Work with an Independent Agent in Des Plaines, IL?
Commercial vehicle insurance is necessary when you use autos for your business. Whether you have employee drivers or not, any company-owned vehicle needs a commercial policy that complies with state and federal guidelines. Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help.
They have access to several carriers and can run quotes with multiple options. Since an independent agent works on your behalf, you'll save time and money. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice in minutes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.