If you own a vehicle in Benton, you are required by Kentucky state law to have car insurance. From fender benders on 5th Street to multi-car pileups on Purchase Parkway, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses in the wake of a collision.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a great coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent in or near Benton to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Benton, KY?
The good news is that the average cost of car insurance in Benton is lower than both the national and state average rates.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Kentucky average annual car insurance cost: $1,341
- Benton, KY average annual car insurance cost: $829
Of course, rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so you can expect your actual quotes rates to differ from the city’s average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several considerations. Some things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, trim, and year of your the vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
When it comes to car insurance, experience matters. You can expect a senior at Marshall County High School to be charged much higher rates than a 50-year-old office manager with a clean driving record.
Comparing rates lets you be sure you're getting your policy at a competitive price. An independent insurance agent in Benton can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurance companies.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Benton?
As a vehicle owner in Benton, you must be in compliance with Kentucky state law when it comes to car insurance. Kentucky is a no-fault state, meaning that your car insurance company will cover the cost of your injuries in an accident up to a certain amount, regardless of fault.
This state requires drivers to carry liability insurance and personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. Liability insurance is designed to cover damage and injuries sustained by other people if you cause an accident. PIP insurance is designed to cover injuries sustained by you and your passengers in a collision, regardless of fault.
Your car insurance policy must have, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $10,000 in property damage liability per accident
- $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) insurance
Although a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it isn't always the best choice. Accidents can happen to anyone, even the best drivers. If you cause a serious crash and your insurance limits are too low to cover your liabilities, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That's why many Benton vehicle owners purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state of Kentucky requires. You can further boost your liability coverage by purchasing umbrella insurance. Talk to your local insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to obtain different levels of coverage.
What Else Can Benton Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage that is required by state law, most insurance companies will give you the option of including any of the following coverage options in your car insurance policy:
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by a non-collision event such as a flood, fire, or falling object. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This can pay for any medical treatment costs that go beyond what your PIP insurance will cover, as well as damage to your vehicle if you are in an accident that was caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between what you currently owe for your vehicle and what your vehicle is worth. This can be beneficial if you own a rapidly depreciating new car and it is totaled due to an accident or a disaster like a flood.
- Roadside assistance and towing insurance: This can pay for assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you're out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to an insurance agent in Benton to learn more about these coverage options for help determining which, if any, are a good fit for you.
Are There Many Uninsured Motorists in Kentucky?
Driving without insurance in Kentucky is illegal. When it comes to enforcement of this law, this state isn’t playing games. If you are caught driving an uninsured vehicle, you can be penalized with:
- Fines ranging from $500 to $2,500
- Imprisonment from 90 to 180 days (or a combination of a fine and jail time)
- Suspension of your driving privileges until you provide proof of insurance. Repeat offenders can have their license suspended for up to two years.
Given the tough penalties in this state, it's not surprising that the percentage of uninsured drivers in Kentucky is lower than in most states. Let’s look at some numbers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Kentucky drivers who are uninsured: 11.5%
Of course, this still means that one in ten drivers with whom you are sharing the roads is uninsured. Opting to include uninsured motorist coverage in your car insurance policy can therefore prove beneficial if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Rather than going through the courts to get the compensation owed to you by the at-fault driver, you can immediately get coverage for your damage and any medical costs that aren't covered by PIP. Your insurance company will then take on the task of pursuing legal action against the uninsured or underinsured driver who hit you.
Does Benton Car Insurance Cover against Vehicle Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Benton is significantly lower than both the national and state average rates. Residents of this city report around five auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Kentucky auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.23
- Benton, KY auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.22
Of course, you probably don’t spend all your time in Benton. If you drive into a less safe area, you should be aware that you can't be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss or damage to your car due to a variety of other non-collision hazards. Talk to your insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Benton, KY?
As a vehicle owner in Benton, you can turn to an independent agent for help when you're looking for a reliable auto insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs. These insurance professionals are free to work with a number of different providers, so they can assist you with finding the best and most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Benton to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.