Auto insurance allows you to avoid the financial pain of paying for damage resulting from an accident. In Louisiana, you must have certain types and amounts of car insurance to remain in compliance with the law. Building an insurance policy that works with your budget and fits into your lifestyle while providing adequate coverage can be a difficult task.
When you choose an independent insurance agent, you'll get the help you need to find the best auto insurance policy at the lowest cost. Reach out to a Hammond insurance agent today and get started comparing your customized car insurance quotes right away.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Hammond, LA?
The average cost of car insurance in Louisiana is higher than the national average. When you take the time to shop around for the best rates, you increase your chances of saving money on your premiums.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Louisiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,405
Since each insurance company has its own algorithms that help them determine how much money to charge for an auto insurance policy, your quotes may vary wildly from each other. Your agent can help you build a hypothetical insurance package so you know that you are comparing quotes for the same types and amounts of coverage.
Your rates may be based on this information:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
You could get deep discounts on your insurance premiums if you bundle your homeowners or renters insurance with your auto insurance. There are many ways to get insurance discounts, so be sure to talk with your agent about how you could qualify for a reduced premium.
Your agent will walk you through your quotes and recommend a trustworthy insurance company that's a good fit for your needs.
What Does Hammond Car Insurance Cover?
As a resident of Hammond, your auto insurance must meet or exceed Louisiana's minimum standards for insurance. You'll need liability insurance, but uninsured motorist coverage and personal injury protection (PIP) are optional.
If you have a lease or loan on your car, check with your bank or dealership to find out about any additional insurance requirements. You may be required to build a full coverage auto policy that includes comprehensive and collision coverage. This type of policy is more expensive than a liability-only policy.
In Louisiana, your insurance provider may offer the following types of auto insurance coverage:
Required Insurance Coverage
- Liability insurance: You must carry proof that you have this insurance policy in place while driving. Without it, you could face steep fines. This policy covers damage to someone else's property as well as their medical bills after an accident if you are at fault.
Your policy must include at least these amounts of coverage:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
Optional Insurance Coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This pays for medical expenses for you and your passengers after an accident, no matter who is at fault.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This coverage pays for non-covered damage and injuries after an accident where the at-fault party doesn't have insurance.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This pays for assistance if you get a flat tire, lock your keys in your car, run out of gas, or your car has a mechanical failure that leaves you stranded.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This pays to rent a car so you have transportation while your vehicle is being fixed after a covered accident.
Partly Optional Insurance Coverage
- Collision insurance: This policy pays to replace or repair your vehicle if it's damaged in a crash.
- Comprehensive insurance: This policy pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision event such as a flood, falling object, or garage fire.
Your Hammond insurance agent can help you determine how much of each type of coverage you need and can afford.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Hammond?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Louisiana. If caught, uninsured drivers can face fines ranging from $100 for a first offense, up to $700 for further offenses. If you don't have the proper proof of insurance with you and an officer asks for it, you may also face fines.
There are about the same number of uninsured drivers in Louisiana as there are nationwide.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of Louisiana drivers who are uninsured: 13%
While you aren't required to have uninsured motorist insurance with your car insurance policy, without it, you may be left with financial hardship after an accident if the at-fault driver doesn't have enough insurance. While it's possible to sue the other driver, this process can be time-consuming and expensive.
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage offers you immediate financial relief for a covered accident.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Hammond?
The auto theft rate in Louisiana is lower than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.37%
- Louisiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.21%
Your risk of having your car stolen in Louisiana is slim, but if it happens, you'll be glad to have the right type of insurance. Without comprehensive coverage, you won't be reimbursed by the insurance company for the value of your stolen car.
Comprehensive insurance also covers other non-collision events like damage from a fallen tree, garage fire, flooding, or hail. If you have a loan or lease on your car, you may already have comprehensive coverage. Your agent will go over your current policy and recommend any changes that could benefit you in the long run.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Hammond, LA?
An independent agent in Hammond can help you look for the best possible combination of value and coverage. They'll explain your options, answer your questions, and make sure your policy complies with Louisiana laws and your bank's requirements.
Discover the benefits of working with a Hammond insurance agent and start comparing your quotes, today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.