Slidell is the largest city in Louisiana’s St. Tammany Parish. It is located where Interstates 10, 12 and 59 meet U.S. Highway 11, so it is a major crossroads for drivers who are traveling through the Gulf states. All this extra traffic creates some driving hazards for residents of this city. Fortunately, you can protect your finances with a suitable Slidell, LA car insurance policy, which is required by law for all vehicle owners in this state.
Finding great insurance at an affordable price is easy when you are working with an independent insurance agent in our network. These agents can quickly provide you with a selection of affordable Slidell car insurance quotes from a number of competing insurers. They can also explain your various coverage options and answer your insurance-related questions. Find an agent in or near Slidell to learn more.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Louisiana average cost per year: $1,774
- 4th most expensive auto premium in the U.S.
Auto insurance rates in Louisiana are some of the highest in the country, which reinforces the need for comparison shopping. Rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next because the rates are calculated using several different variables. When determining how much to charge you for your Slidell car insurance premiums, insurance companies will consider these factors:
- The make, model, year and safety features of the vehicle(s) you wish to insure
- Your ZIP code, i.e., where you live and store the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- The age, sex and marital status of all licensed drivers in your household
- The driving record and claims history of all licensed drivers in your household
- The estimated number of miles you drive per year
- The amount of liability coverage you wish to purchase
- The policy options you wish to include with your coverage
- The deductible you are requesting
Every insurance company has its own method for assessing risk and assigning rates, so comparison shopping enables you to choose the Slidell auto insurance policy that offers you the best value for your money.
Louisiana Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): not required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 15/30/25: Coverage up to $30,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $15,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
Failure to carry auto insurance that meets or exceeds the state’s minimum coverage requirements can result in fines from $100 to $700 as well as reinstatement fees that vary according to how long you have been without coverage. Additionally, insured drivers who cannot provide proof of coverage when asked may either have their vehicle impounded or have their plates revoked and replaced with temporary plates that give them up to three days to provide proof that they had insurance at the time it was requested.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Louisiana
- Number of uninsured U.S. drivers: 13%
- Number of uninsured Louisiana drivers: 13%
If an uninsured or a hit-and-run driver is responsible for an accident that causes you injuries or property damage, that driver is still required to cover your losses. However, you may find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to collect this reimbursement, even with a court order. Fortunately, if your Slidell auto insurance policy includes uninsured motorist coverage, this is not a problem. In such an instance, your insurance company covers your damage and then attempts to recover the funds from the offending driver on its own behalf.
Number of Auto Thefts in Louisiana
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- Louisiana number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.47
The rate of car theft in the state of Louisiana is lower than the national average. In Slidell, the rate falls roughly in the middle. Recently, there were 68 auto thefts reported in this city. That equates to about 2.48 thefts per 1,000 vehicles – less than the national average, but greater than the state average.
If your car is stolen or damaged by vandals, you can receive compensation from your insurance company only if your policy includes comprehensive (also called “other than collision”) insurance. In addition to theft, this insurance covers damage caused by such things as falling objects, floods, vandalism, and non-collision-related fires. If you financed the purchase of your car and are still making payments, you are likely required by your lender to have this coverage.
Find a Slidell Car Insurance Policy
If you are looking for an affordable Slidell auto insurance policy that will afford you the coverage that you and your family need, it is to your benefit to work with an independent agent in our network. These agents can collect and help you compare a variety of suitable policies from a variety of competing insurance providers. Let an agent help you be sure that you are not paying more than you have to for your auto insurance. There are several agents located throughout the state of Louisiana, and some have offices in and around the city of Slidell.
Find an independent insurance agent near you to learn more about your coverage options, and discover how easy it is to save money on your premiums simply by comparing Slidell car insurance quotes.