Are you looking for a better homeowners insurance policy? How much do you currently pay for homeowners insurance? Whether you are a long-time resident of Ruston, or you recently relocated here for a new job, if you just bought a new home, you need a reliable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the most economically priced insurance coverage for your Ruston, LA home. Find an independent insurance agent near you to learn more.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover?
So, what does homeowners insurance cover? Homeowners insurance provides coverage in the following six categories:
- The dwelling, which is the main house, and anything directly attached to it, such as a garage.
- Other structures that are not attached to the house, such as detached garages, fences, sheds, or guesthouses.
- Personal property, including furniture, appliances, electronics, and clothing. Curiously, the policy also covers property lost or damaged off-site such as at a storage facility or even with your child at college.
- Liability costs if someone is injured on your property.
- Medical bills if someone is injured on your property or injured by your pets.
- Loss of use coverage, which helps cover living expenses while the home is being repaired.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Ruston, LA?
The average price of homeowners insurance in Louisiana is comparable to the national average, which is why it is important to shop around and compare rates:
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Louisiana average yearly premium: $1,109
You can only get a rough estimate of the actual costs for homeowners insurance by looking at the averages. Homeowners insurance rates can vary from one homeowner to another. This happens because insurance companies determine their rates according to some of the following factors:
- Your credit score and claims history
- The crime rate and weather risks in your area
- The age, cost, and size of your home
- The type of home you are insuring
- The number of stories in your home
- If you are bundling your coverage with another policy such as car insurance or life insurance
Reviewing different homeowners insurance rates lets you choose the homeowners policy that offers the best homeowners insurance coverage to meet your needs, and at the most reasonable price. Independent insurance agents in Ruston, LA make comparison shopping easy.
What Is Personal Liability Insurance and Why Does My Ruston, LA Home Need to Have It?
If you (or a member of your household) accidentally injure a third party or damage their property, personal liability insurance has you covered. It is known as “third-party insurance,” because it protects you in case of a third-party lawsuit against you.
Personal liability insurance is very important coverage to have as it will pay for legal defense in the event of a lawsuit. It also pays medical and/or property claims for which you are found legally responsible, up to the limits of your homeowners insurance policy.
If you need to add higher personal liability limits than your current homeowners insurance policy allows, your agent can help you find a reasonably priced umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is a cost-effective way to enhance all your personal liability coverage needs.
A few cases in which personal liability coverage might protect you include the following:
- You accidentally shot down your neighbor’s aerial drone and he is suing for damages.
- Your dog got out and dug up the neighbor’s lawn.
An independent insurance agent in Ruston, LA can help you acquire the personal liability insurance options you need.
Does Ruston, LA Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against the various threats you may face as a homeowner in Ruston, LA. This includes a wide variety of catastrophic events such as severe storms and lightning damage.
You want to be sure you can repair or rebuild your home by setting your insurance coverage requirements high enough in the event of a catastrophe.
Catastrophic Events in Louisiana:
- Number of federally declared disasters in LA: 90 since 1953
- Most common reasons for disasters in LA: severe storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in LA: 37
Residents of Ruston, LA are most at risk for damage caused by the following threats:
- Severe storms and lightning damage
- Wildfires and residential fires
- Burglary and other property crimes
Talk to your independent insurance agent for help in ensuring all your assets are properly covered.
What Is the Crime Rate in Ruston and Does Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The 2018 crime rate in Ruston, LA is 228 per 100,000 people, which is 1.2 times lower than the US average. In the last five years, Ruston has seen a decrease in violent crime and a decrease in property crime.
The burglary rate in LA, and in Ruston in particular, is much lower than the national average, which makes it easier to find a lower rate of homeowners insurance.
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 homes in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 homes in LA: 668.1
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 homes in Ruston: 35.9
If your home is broken into, it can leave you feeling helpless. But you can find some comfort in knowing your homeowners insurance will pay you for the damage, as well as for any other property damage the burglars did to your home.
One of the best theft deterrent devices around is a home security system, and many insurance companies offer deductions to clients who have security systems installed in their homes.
An independent insurance agent can assist you in acquiring all the potential discounts for which you may qualify.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover a Second Home or Vacation Home in Ruston, LA?
No matter where you own a second or vacation home, if you are among the Ruston, LA residents who own more than one home, you will want to cover all your homes with a suitable homeowners insurance policy.
If you do not permanently live in your second home or vacation property, you will most likely have additional risks that insurance companies consider, which at times means that specialized insurance products may be required.
- Second homes occupied by renters have a higher liability and property damage risk. These houses require coverage options offered by landlord insurance.
- Vacation homes left vacant for long periods have an increased risk of burglaries and property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required while the house is unoccupied.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the coverage you need for all your residential houses and help you find the most reasonably priced policies to insure them.
Why Should You Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Ruston, LA?
One of the easiest ways to find a great homeowners insurance policy is to work with an independent insurance agent. These specialists work for you, not a specific insurance company. This lets you make sure you are getting honest information as you shop for the homeowners insurance coverage options you need for your Ruston, LA home.
Independent insurance agents in Lakewood, LA are ready to help. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to begin reviewing personalized homeowners insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.