Greenbelt, MD, has a population of roughly 23,224 residents. When you own a property, the right coverage is necessary to be insured correctly. Homeowners insurance can help protect your assets.
An independent insurance agent can help with access to several carriers so that you get a policy for a fair price. They work on your behalf at zero cost to you. Connect with a local expert for custom quotes today.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover In Greenbelt, MD?
Your Greenbelt, MD, homeowners policy will have several coverages that are included automatically. You'll need to obtain the proper limits of protection for each to have adequate insurance. The majority of homeowners policies have the following coverages.
- Dwelling limit: Pays for the replacement or repair of your home itself when a covered claim occurs.
- Personal property: Pays for the replacement or repair of your personal belongings.
- Personal liability: Pays for bodily injury, property damage, and libel or slander claims against a household member.
- Additional living expenses: Pays for your temporary stay at another property when a claim renders your home unlivable.
- Medical payments: Pays for the first $1,000 - $10,000 of a medical expense when a third party gets injured on your property.
Here are some of the most common risks faced by homeowners in Greenbelt that your homeowners policy will cover against.
- Severe storms
- Theft and vandalism
Catastrophe/Common Disasters in the Area
In order to have coverage for a significant catastrophe in Greenbelt, you'll want to review your policy selection. In 2020, Maryland had approximately 836,597,000 home insurance claims alone. Take a peek at the top exposures in Greenbelt, MD.
- Flooding and water damage
- Hurricanes and tropical storms
- Severe storms and lightning
- Burglary and other property crimes
Homeowners in Greenbelt should also be aware of some of the most recent weather-related disasters. Here are Greenbelt's statistics:
- The number of natural disasters in Greenbelt: 16
- Major presidentially declared disasters in Greenbelt: 11
- Emergencies declared in Greenbelt: 5
These weather-related disasters can be attributed to the top three causes in Greenbelt.
- Hurricanes: 5 declared as a disaster
- Winter storms: 5 declared as a disaster
- Snowstorms: 3 declared as a disaster
How Flood Insurance Can Help in Greenbelt, MD
Did you know that your homeowners policy won't have coverage for a flood? In fact, they exclude flood damage from your policy altogether. If you want adequate protection, you'll have to add separate flood insurance.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost In Greenbelt, MD?
Unique data, outside elements, and other risk factors will be used to figure your rates. Your Greenbelt homeowners insurance costs will vary and be specific to you. Take a look at the items insurance companies use to determine your premiums.
- Where you live
- How many claims you've filed
- How new your house is
- How close you are to a fire department
- How close you are to a fire hydrant
- The materials of your home
- Your credit score
- If you have a pool, trampoline, or pet
- The square footage of your home
- How much it costs to replace your home
The national average for home insurance premiums is slightly higher than what homeowners in Greenbelt, Maryland, pay. Here's how Maryland compares.
- National average: $1,211
- Maryland average: $1,037
There are a few common ways that homeowners can reduce the variety of risk factors they face in Greenbelt. Here are a few examples.
- Improving your credit score
- Filing fewer insurance claims
- Updating your roof, electrical, plumbing, or heating
Common Liabilities for Homeowners In Greenbelt, Maryland
In Greenbelt, MD, you'll have two options when it comes to liability insurance. One will be included in your home policy, and the other will have to be added for additional coverage. Take a peek at the most common ways to obtain liability protection.
- Your homeowners policy
- Umbrella insurance
The way it works is that your homeowners insurance will apply first. Once those limits have been exhausted due to a larger claim, your umbrella policy will kick in. The actual cost of obtaining a separate umbrella policy is usually minimal.
Property Crime Statistics for Homeowners In Greenbelt, Maryland
A property crime occurs in every city, every day. Greenbelt, MD, is no different, and adequate protection is necessary to cover the damage. Theft and vandalism protection are commonly included in your homeowners policy. Take a look at the burglaries per 100,000 households below.
- National average: 376.0
- Maryland average: 312.6
- Greenbelt average: 269.0
How a Local Agent in Greenbelt, MD, Can Help Find Insurance
When you're trying to find the right coverage for your largest asset, consider using a trusted adviser. There are several coverage options that you might miss if you're not a licensed professional. Your homeowners insurance is key to protecting your family, property, and more from a loss.
An independent insurance agent has access to multiple markets so that you get the best coverage and rates in town. They do the shopping at no cost so that you can save big time. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com and get started today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.