Cooking for friends and family is one thing. Add paying customers to the mix and things get dicey, fast. The leap from dream restaurant to hot-under-the-collar reality is a big one. Luckily, restaurant insurance is here to help cover every risk on the menu. It doesn’t matter if you’re dreaming of a boardwalk burger shack or a destination seafood restaurant. Our independent insurance agents know Maryland restaurant insurance inside and out, and they’re here to find the right coverage for you.
What Is Maryland Restaurant Insurance?
In short, restaurant insurance is a platter of coverage that protects your customers, employees, property, and inventory. Every restaurant will have a unique assortment of risks, so your insurance can be catered to cover them accordingly.
Why Do I Need Maryland Restaurant Insurance?
Maryland is home to over 10,000 restaurants. That’s stiff competition, but insurance helps keep your business ahead of the pack by protecting your assets. Restaurant disasters are bound to happen, especially when your kitchen is facing a rush of orders. Here’s a quick overview of things that can go wrong:
- You could lose your stuff: Damage or loss of your property, equipment, and inventory
- You could be sued: A drunk-driving accident caused by over-serving a customer
- You could make a mistake: Food poisoning caused by improper handling of ingredients
In Maryland, beachfront views come with big hurricane risks. Atlantic hurricane season happens in the summer and early fall, during peak tourist season. That means you could lose out on customers while making repairs. Insurance helps you pay for damages and get back on your feet faster. To put things in perspective, last year, hurricanes caused 94 billion dollars of damage in the US—and that only counts property that was insured. Hurricanes are nasty, destructive bullies. It’s just not worth leaving your business unprotected.
Ready to Save On Restaurant Insurance?
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Maryland Restaurant Insurance Cover?
Restaurant insurance is always a blend of different types of coverage depending on your business’s needs—a fast food place will need different coverage than a bar-restaurant. Here’s a list of flavors you’ll typically see in a restaurant insurance policy:
- Property: This covers your business’s physical assets, from buildings to furnishings. It usually includes coverage for fire, natural disasters, and theft. Hurricane coverage is in this category.
- Spoilage: This covers any inventory that spoils in a power outage or similar mishap. This is extra-important for seafood restaurants, which deal with expensive and highly perishable inventory.
- General liability: This covers costs if someone is hurt in your restaurant, including if they get food poisoning. (Check with your independent agent to ensure that your policy doesn’t exclude communicable disease from coverage.)
- Liquor liability: If you sell alcohol, this covers costs related to someone getting drunk at your restaurant and hurting themselves or someone else.
- Workers' compensation: This covers your employees’ expenses if they get injured on the job.
- Garagekeepers: If you have a valet service, this covers any damage to customers’ cars that may result.
- Boiler and machinery (equipment): This covers the repair and replacement costs for your equipment under a wide variety of circumstances, including power surges and outages.
How Much Does Maryland Restaurant Insurance Cost?
If you’re just starting out, a premade restaurant insurance plan might be the ideal choice for coverage. These policies can be convenient, cost-effective and should offer the protection you need for the time being. Once you’re more established, you’re better off customizing your insurance, especially if you have expensive furnishings, appliances, or a fleet of catering vehicles. Premade plans might not have the proper protection to fully cover all your goodies. Depending on the size of your business, expect to pay anywhere from a couple thousand to tens of thousands of dollars a year. Serving alcohol will push your insurance costs higher.
The Awesome Benefits of an Independent Agent
Our agents will review your needs and help you evaluate the restaurant insurance coverage that makes the most sense. They’ll also compare policies and quotes from multiple insurance companies to make sure you have the right protection in place. So you’ll have that going for you.
Finding Maryland Restaurant Insurance Quotes
Our insurance agents are here to help you find the right coverage pairing for your business, so you can focus on your wine pairings. Not only that, they’ll cut the jargon and explain the nitty-gritty so you know exactly what you’re getting. Most importantly, they’ve got your back. Many claim processes have strict deadlines. Our independent agents will be there to help you meet them so that you can take full advantage of your insurance benefits.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.