Maryland has a lot of great roads for riding. Whether you’re cruising along the Potomac River on the Charles County Loop, zipping through the scenic woodlands of the Catoctin Mountains, or just enjoying a short ride through your own neighborhood, you will need to be covered by motorcycle insurance.
There are nearly 120,000 motorcycles registered in the Old Line State. If you are the proud owner of one of these bikes, a local independent agent can help you cover it with a suitable, yet affordable, policy.
These agents can obtain customized quotes from some of the best motorcycle insurance companies in Maryland. This enables you to choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price. Find an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in Maryland?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in Maryland is $801 a year. One thing that helps to keep rates affordable in this state is that many people put their bikes away during the winter months, since riding is often too hazardous at that time of year.
Motorcycle insurance rates are calculated individually, so an average cost can only give you a general idea of what you might be expected to pay. Factors that can influence how much your policy will cost include:
- Your motorcycle’s make, model, and year and value
- Your age, occupation, and years of riding experience
- Your history of traffic citations, both while riding and while driving
- The estimated number of miles you put on your bike per year
- The size of your deductible
Contacting a few competing insurance providers to request customized quotes lets you choose the policy that is offered at the best price. Independent agents make comparison shopping easy.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Maryland?
Maryland state law requires all motorcycle owners to have a motorcycle insurance policy in order to register their bikes and obtain tags. Your policy must include, at a minimum, sufficient liability insurance.
Motorcycle liability insurance is designed to cover any property damage or injuries you may cause to others if you are responsible for a collision while riding. Your policy must meet or exceed the following coverage amounts:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of $30,000 per person
- Bodily injury liability coverage of $60,00 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of $15,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage at the same limits
All other motorcycle coverage is optional.
What Else Can Maryland Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
In addition to the liability and uninsured motorist coverage that you are required to have, most insurance companies will offer you a selection of coverage options. These can include:
- Full coverage: This can pay for loss or damage to your motorcycle. It is often required by your lender if you are still paying for your bike. Full coverage includes:
- Collision insurance: This covers repair or replacement costs if your bike is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers repair or replacement costs if your bike is damaged in a non-collision event like a flood or fire.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: This covers emergency medical treatment, hospital bills, lost wages, and other expenses related to injuries you may have incurred in a motorcycle accident, regardless of fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This covers the cost of assistance if your motorcycle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Custom parts insurance: This can increase your motorcycle’s assessed value if you have installed any customized accessories or equipment on it. That way, if your motorcycle is totaled in a covered event, you can be compensated for its true value.
Be sure to review the details and costs of each of your various options so you can make an informed decision about which coverage add-ons are a good fit for you.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Are There Any Insurance Discounts Available for Maryland Motorcyclists?
Many motorcycle insurance companies in Maryland offer discounts and incentives to qualified policyholders. You may be able to earn lower prices on your coverage by:
- Completing a state-approved motorcycle safety course
- Paying your full annual premium in one up-front payment
- Being a member of a qualifying organization or riding association
- Bundling your motorcycle insurance with other policies like car insurance, homeowners insurance, or renters insurance.
A good insurance agent will make sure that your policy includes all the available discounts for which you qualify.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent in Maryland Help Me?
When you are shopping for any type of insurance coverage, you can benefit from having the guidance and advice of a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance provider, so they can shop around to find a suitable policy at a competitive price.
It doesn’t cost anything to consult one of these experienced insurance professionals. Contact an independent insurance agent near you and you can soon start comparing customized quotes from some of the best motorcycle insurance companies in Maryland.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.