Camping in an RV is a popular pastime for many people in Maryland. In fact, residents of the Old Line State spend about $47 million a year just on recreational vehicle sales and services.
Whether you are traveling across the country or simply enjoying one of Maryland’s many scenic RV campgrounds, as the owner of a recreational vehicle, you can benefit from having a solid and reliable RV insurance policy.
Independent agents can shop around to find you a good policy at a competitive price. Talk to an independent insurance agent near you to start comparing customized quotes from some of the best RV insurance companies in Maryland.
How Much Does RV Insurance Cost in Maryland?
RV insurance rates can vary. Smaller RVs like camper vans cost much less to insure than large, expensive Class A motor homes. Your customized RV insurance quotes will be based on several factors like:
- The type of RV you are insuring
- Whether your RV is a motorized vehicle or a trailer
- Your RV's length, weight, value, and condition
- The estimated number of miles you plan to drive your RV each year
- The amount of time you plan to spend living in the vehicle each year
- Your driving record and claims history
- The types and amounts of coverage you are purchasing
Why Compare RV Insurance Quotes in Maryland?
Every insurance company has its own unique way of calculating rates. That means that each is likely to offer you coverage for a different cost.
Contacting a few insurance companies to request quotes lets you choose the policy that is offered at the best price. Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping easy.
What Does Maryland RV Insurance Cover?
In Maryland, a basic RV insurance policy can provide:
- Coverage against liabilities if you cause a collision in your RV
- Coverage for your own property damage and injuries if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver
- Coverage for medical treatment and related expenses if you or your passengers are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
By adding a variety of coverage options to your policy, you can tailor your policy according to the type of recreational vehicle you own and how you plan to use it.
Is RV Insurance Required in Maryland?
In Maryland, if your RV is a towable unit, like a fifth-wheel or a travel trailer, it can be covered through an endorsement on the policy of the vehicle that will be towing it.
However, an RV insurance policy is required by law if your RV is a self-propelled vehicle, like a motor home or a camper van. In this case, it will be held to the same minimum coverage requirements as your car or truck.
In Maryland, this means that your RV insurance policy must include the following types of coverage:
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s medical bills and property damage if you cause a collision. Your policy must include, at a minimum:
- Bodily injury liability insurance per person: $30,000
- Bodily injury liability insurance per accident: $60,000
- Property damage liability insurance per accident: $15,000
- Uninsured motorist insurance (UIM): This can provide coverage if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver and your associated costs go beyond what your policy can cover. Your policy must include, at a minimum:
- UIM bodily injury insurance per person: $30,000
- UIM bodily injury insurance per accident: $60,000
- UIM property damage liability insurance per accident: $15,000
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: This can provide coverage for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. It can pay for things like ambulance services, medical treatment, lost wages, and funeral costs. Your policy must include, at a minimum:
- PIP coverage per person: $2,500
In addition to the coverage that is required by law, if you are still making payments on your recreational vehicle, your lender will require you to include the following types of coverage in your policy.
- Collision insurance: This covers loss or damage caused by collisions, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers loss or damage caused by non-collision hazards like floods, fires, and severe storms.
Once your RV is paid in full, collision and comprehensive coverage are optional.
Save on RV Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Coverage Options Are Available for RV Owners in Maryland?
Most RV insurance companies will offer a selection of coverage options so that you can build a policy that is suitable for the way you use your RV. Examples of some of the coverage options you may want to consider include:
- Personal liability coverage: This coverage is ideal for people who live in their RVs full time. It is designed to provide the same personal liability protection you would normally get through a homeowners or renters insurance policy.
- Vacation liability coverage: This is ideal for people who take their RVs to various RV campgrounds. It is designed to provide additional liability protection so you don’t need to worry if you accidentally cause property damage or injuries to others while staying at an RV park.
- Contents coverage: This is ideal for all RV owners who keep valuable personal property in their RVs. It can pay to repair or replace this property if it is lost or damaged by a covered event like theft, fire, or tornado.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This is ideal for any RV enthusiast who will be spending a lot of time on the road. Because most RVs require specialized towing if they become disabled while you are out on the road, service calls can get expensive, especially if you are out in the middle of nowhere. This insurance is designed to cover the costs.
Be sure to review all coverage options offered by your prospective insurance companies. Looking at what these options cover and how much they cost will help you make an informed decision about which offer a good value to you and your family.
What are the Best RV Insurance Companies in Maryland?
Independent insurance agents have established relationships with some of the best insurance companies in Maryland.
This means that you can be sure that any policies your agent recommends to you are from coming from insurance companies that have a time-tested record of reliable coverage, excellent service, and competitive rates.
How Can an Independent Agent Help Me Find the Best RV Insurance in Maryland?
When you are shopping for a suitable RV insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs, local independent agents can help. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so they can shop around to find you the best and most affordable coverage.
There are many benefits to having a local insurance professional on your side. Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing customized RV insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.