The city of Northampton, MA is renowned for its large percentage of independently owned small businesses. If you are among the many entrepreneurs here in “Paradise City,” you can protect the investment you have made in your company by covering it with business insurance.
Building a comprehensive business insurance policy package can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t need to be. Independent agents can help you identify your company’s specific risks and can recommend the right policies to cover against them. Contact an insurance agent in Northampton to learn more.
Why Do Northampton, MA Businesses Need Liability Insurance?
Liability lawsuits against your company can be extremely expensive, even if the courts ultimately rule in your favor.
Business liability insurance is designed to pay your company’s court costs, legal fees, and financial damages if it is sued for a covered event. You will need to be certain that you have the right policies in place to cover against each of the liability risks your business may face.
A local independent agent can help you identify all of your company’s liability exposures and can recommend the right policies to cover against each of them. That way, you don't need to worry about having any unintentional coverage gaps.
Some of the many commercial liability products that are available to you include:
- Premises liability insurance: This can cover third-party injuries, illnesses, and property damage that occur due to an accident on your business premises.
- Product liability insurance: This can cover third-party injuries, illnesses and property damage that are caused by defects in products your business produces, sells, or promotes.
- Cyber liability insurance: This can cover against your company’s financial responsibilities if criminals hack into your computer system and steal sensitive customer data such as credit card details, Social Security numbers, and personal information.
- Employment practices liability insurance: This can cover against lawsuits related to accusations of illegal employment practices such as discrimination, harassment, breach of contract, and wrongful termination.
- Pollution liability insurance: This can cover clean-up costs, damages, and financial responsibilities if an accident at your business leads to the pollution of the environment, including the ground, water, or air.
- Liquor liability insurance: This can cover against lawsuits related to damage or injuries caused by an intoxicated patron of your establishment. This is necessary because Massachusetts dram laws enable the injured party to sue the establishment that served, sold, or furnished the alcohol.
You can learn more about these and other commercial liability coverage options by consulting an independent insurance agent in Northampton.
What Insurance Products Cover Your Business Property in Northampton?
Businesses in Northampton, MA are most likely to experience property loss or damage due to hazards such as structure fires, hurricanes, severe storms (including tropical storms), gusty winds, hail, heavy snows, freezing temperatures, and property crimes.
Commercial property insurance is designed to cover against loss or damage caused by these risks. This insurance covers business assets such as computers, furniture, inventory, merchandise, supplies, and more.
Sometimes, additional property insurance products are necessary. Depending on the risks faced by your particular business, your insurance agent may recommend supplementing your commercial property insurance with additional products such as:
- Inland marine insurance: This can cover your company’s valuable portable property whenever it is in transit or is being kept at a location other than your place of business, such as while it is at a job site or being stored in a warehouse.
- Bailee's insurance: This can cover your customers' property whenever it is in your company’s care, custody, or control. This may be necessary if your business provides repair, alteration, or maintenance services to expensive items.
- Boiler & machinery insurance: This can cover the cost to repair or replace your business’s essential machinery if it breaks down. It can also cover any financial losses your business may sustain as a result of the mechanical malfunction.
- Commercial flood insurance: This is often necessary because flood damage is excluded from your commercial property insurance coverage, even if it is the direct result of a covered hurricane. Businesses located near waterways like the Connecticut and Mill Rivers are most at risk, but when heavy rains fall, flash flooding can occur just about anywhere.
A local insurance agent can help you be certain that all your business assets are suitably covered, and that your coverage limits are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace, when necessary.
Is Business Interruption Insurance a Good Idea in Northampton, MA?
Tornadoes are rare in Massachusetts, but this doesn't mean that the risk doesn't exist. In 1971, an F3 twister touched down less than a mile from the Northampton city center and caused several thousand dollars in damage.
A major disaster like a fire or a tornado can do more than just damage your company’s valuable property. If the destruction is particularly severe, your business could also be forced to remain closed for several weeks while repairs are made.
Disasters in Massachusetts
- Number of federally declared disasters in MA since 1953: 54
- Most common reasons for declared disasters: Severe storms, hurricanes, and heavy snows
- Average number of tornadoes in MA per year: 1.4
Many small businesses cannot financially survive the consequences of a long-term closure following a disaster. Business interruption insurance provides a solution to this problem.
This insurance is designed to provide your company with a continuation of income during the times it must remain closed for repairs due to damage caused by a covered event. Business interruption coverage can continue until you can safely resume normal operations.
Consult a local independent insurance agent for help determining whether this coverage is a good fit for your Northampton business.
Do Businesses in Northampton Need Workers’ Compensation Insurance?
It is an unfortunate fact that workers sometimes get injured on the job. This can happen even when all reasonable precautions have been taken. That is why, with few exceptions, all employers in Massachusetts are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance.
Workers’ compensation insurance is designed to protect your business and your employees from financial losses related to workplace injuries and occupational illnesses. It does this by covering the cost of related medical treatment, follow-up care, lost wages, and other expenses.
Talk to an independent insurance agent to learn more about workers’ compensation insurance and for help finding a competitively priced policy from a provider who specializes in covering businesses like yours.
What about Insurance Products for Northampton Employee Benefits Packages?
When companies offer competitive employee benefits, they frequently find it easier to attract and retain the most qualified employees. This has been demonstrated in several studies conducted by human resources professionals.
Have you been considering subsidizing healthcare coverage for your employees? The cost for coverage can be high, but independent agents can help you find suitable policies at competitive prices.
- Annual amount spent on healthcare coverage by MA businesses: $1,064,684,000
- Average annual cost of health care in MA: $6,379/person or $17,424/family
When shopping for insurance products to include in your employee benefits package, you will find that there are several different health insurance and life insurance products available to choose from. This can make it difficult to determine which policies make the best choices.
An experienced independent insurance agent in Northampton can go over the pros and cons of each of your various options so you can make an informed decision about which to buy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Northampton, MA?
Coverage needs can vary significantly from one company to the next. That is why insurance providers enable business owners to fully customize their commercial insurance policy packages.
Independent agents making shopping for business insurance easy by offering guidance and advice as you consider your many policy options. These agents can also shop around to help you find the best and most affordable products to cover your company against all of its various exposures.
Set up a one-on-one consultation with an insurance agent near you to get more information about business insurance and to start comparing customized quotes from a selection of highly-rated insurers.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.