Lansing, Michigan is home to 118,210 residents. Homeowners need to ensure that their property is protected with the right policy against common and unexpected threats. That means finding adequate homeowners insurance.
An independent insurance agent in Lansing, MI can get you set up with the right homeowners insurance for you. They'll get you covered long before you ever have to file a claim. But first, here's a breakdown of homeowners insurance in Lansing, MI.
What Is Homeowners Insurance?
Homeowners insurance protects your home against many different disasters like break-ins, fire, storm damage, and much more. If you have to file a claim, you'll start by paying your policy's deductible amount out of pocket, somewhere between $500 and $2,000. Afterward, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for the rest of the damage, up to your policy's limits.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in Lansing, MI?
Standard homeowners insurance available in Lansing, MI provides protection for your home's structure, the items inside it, and more.
Homeowners insurance covers the following:
- Dwelling damage: Your home's structure is protected against many threats like fire, hail damage, and more with dwelling coverage.
- Contents damage: Your personal property like silverware, furniture, and more are protected against threats like theft, fire, and more with contents coverage.
- Liability: You're protected against third-party lawsuits for property damage or bodily injury claims with personal liability coverage.
- Additional living expenses: You're also protected against unexpected additional costs if you have to stay somewhere else while waiting for your home to be repaired after a disaster.
An independent insurance agent in Lansing, MI can help you get set up with all the home insurance you need.
What's Not Covered by Homeowners Insurance in Lansing, MI?
Though home insurance in Lansing, MI, provides important protection, it can't cover everything.
Home insurance does not cover the following:
- Natural flood or earthquake damage
- Damage from nuclear fallout
- Insect infestation damage
- Routine maintenance
- Malicious or dishonest acts
If you get sued by someone for a malicious or intentional act, your homeowners insurance won't cover you. It also won't cover damage caused by natural floodwaters, such as hurricanes or tsunamis. Talk to your Lansing, MI independent insurance agent about adding a flood insurance policy to protect your home against flooding.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Lansing, MI?
Homeowners insurance in Lansing, MI is quite a bit cheaper than the national average. Michigan's homeowners insurance premiums average just $942 annually, while the US overall averages $1,211 annually. Michigan ranks 38th overall in the country for most expensive home insurance premiums.
The Most Common Home Disasters in Lansing, MI
Lansing, MI, is not without its own set of disasters. Just a few of the most common disasters to affect homeowners in Lansing, MI, are:
- Flooding and water damage
- Severe storms and lightning damage
- Heavy snow
- Burglary and other property crimes
The first four out of the top five home disasters in Lansing require flood insurance to protect your home adequately from possible water damage. The city's fifth-most common home disaster, burglary, occurs at a rate of 3.17 per 1,000 residents, which is below the national average of 3.76 per 1,000 residents. Regardless, home insurance provides important protection against damage and theft from break-ins.
Cheap Homeowners Insurance near Me
Though you may want to just look for the cheapest home insurance options near you, it's important not to cheap out on your insurance. Paying a lower price for insurance could mean walking away with coverage that doesn't do what you need it to.
Avoid cheap homeowners insurance for these reasons:
- It could have lower coverage limits: If you have cheap premiums, it might mean you also have cheap coverage rates. You could end up with a policy that won't reimburse you for an entire claim.
- It could have a higher deductible: If you have cheap premiums, you might also have a high deductible. You could end up having to pay much more out of your own pocket before your insurance starts covering a claim.
- It could be from a sketchy carrier: If you have cheap premiums, it might mean your insurance carrier isn't that reliable. While price doesn't always correlate to trustworthiness, you can find many examples of cheaper coverage out there with tons of poor customer reviews.
If price is one of your concerns when hunting for home insurance, speak with your Lansing, MI independent insurance agent. They'll help you find affordable coverage and discount options so you won't break the bank.
What Are the Best Homeowners Insurance Companies in Lansing, MI?
Home insurance is offered by many carriers in Lansing, MI. For starters, though, go ahead and check out a list of just a few of our top picks for great coverage now.
|Top Homeowners Insurance Companies in Lansing, MI||Star Rating|
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Lansing, MI?
There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all homeowners insurance policy. With a wide variety of products and options at your disposal, you can put together a solid home insurance package that's custom-built for you and your family.
Independent insurance agents can help you choose the right policies and options to meet your specific coverage needs. Because they're independent, these agents can work with several of the best homeowners insurance companies in Michigan to find you the right coverage at a great price.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.