Anyone can get into an accident. That is why drivers in Aztec, NM, are required to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Main Avenue to multicar collisions on Aztec Boulevard, a solid auto insurance policy can shield drivers from large financial losses related to crashes.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable car insurance policy to meet your coverage needs. Find an insurance agent near you to start comparing a selection of customized quotes.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Aztec, NM?
The average cost of car insurance in New Mexico is lower than the national average. Shopping around for the best rate has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- New Mexico average annual car insurance cost: $1,237
Car insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to a variety of factors, such as:
- The year, make, and model of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
- The size of your deductible
If you are bundling your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance, you may qualify for significant discounts on all your policies. You may also be entitled to other discounts if you have a safe driving record or are a student with good grades.
A local independent insurance agent can ensure that you receive any discounts for which you are entitled so that you can get your policy at the best possible price.
What Does Aztec Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a vehicle owner in Aztec, you are required by law to have a policy that meets or exceeds the state’s minimum liability coverage requirements.
You can expect your auto insurance provider to offer the following coverage:
- Liability insurance (required): This can cover third-party injuries and damages if you cause a collision. Your policy must include:
- Bodily-injury liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident; and
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $15,000 per accident.
- Collision insurance (mostly optional): This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance (mostly optional): This can pay for non-collision related loss or damage to your vehicle, such as if a tree falls on it or it is stolen. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (optional): This can cover injuries and property damage you or your passengers may sustain if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver. In New Mexico, all insurance companies must offer a minimum of:
- Uninsured motorist bodily-injury coverage of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident; and
- Uninsured motorist property damage coverage of at least $10,000 per accident.
- Medical payments insurance, or “MPC” (optional): This can cover any necessary medical treatments if you or your passengers are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing (optional): This can cover the cost of necessary assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are on the road or away from home.
- Rental reimbursement coverage (optional): This can cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Although a minimum coverage policy will be your least expensive option, it is not always the most economical choice. If you cause a collision and your liability limits are too low, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
Talk to your insurance agent for help deciding which coverage options are a good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Is Uninsured Motorist Insurance So Important?
Driving without insurance in New Mexico is illegal. If caught, uninsured drivers can face:
- A fine of $300 or 90 days in jail, or both.
- The suspension of their vehicle registration and plates. Failure to immediately turn in plates and registration can lead to an additional $1,000 fine or six month in jail, or both.
Despite these harsh penalties, New Mexico has one of the highest rates of uninsured motorists in the country. More than one out of every five drivers you are sharing the roads with in this state is operating an uninsured vehicle
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of New Mexico drivers who are uninsured: 20.8%
Uninsured motorist insurance lets you rest assured that if an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, you will receive the compensation you are due without needing to go through expensive lawyers or time-consuming lawsuits in an attempt to collect what is owed to you.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Aztec?
In Aztec, the risk of auto theft is higher than the national rate but lower than the state’s overall rate. In 2018, there were 19 auto thefts reported in this city.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- New Mexico auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 4.86
- Aztec auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.91
The only way you can be reimbursed for an auto theft is if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or, “other than collision”) insurance.
If you are still paying for your vehicle, chances are good you already have this coverage. If not, talk to your insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Aztec, NM?
Independent agents can be a great source of information when you are looking for the best car insurance policy. These experienced professionals can explain your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you review coverage and prices from multiple providers. That way you can choose the policy that offers the best value for your money.
Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Aztec to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.