The top commodities for farms in the Clinton, SC area are chickens, eggs, and cattle. Most crops in the area are grown for the purpose of livestock feed. Farming is a multimillion dollar business in Laurens County, so it is important that farmers in Clinton and surrounding areas protect their investment with a suitable farm insurance policy.
Independent agents in Clinton are ready to help you find the best farm insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more and you can start comparing customized quotes for farm and ranch insurance in no time.
What Is Farm Insurance?
Farm insurance is a specialized policy that that is tailored to meet the unique coverage needs of farm and ranch owners. It combines coverage for your home and personal property with coverage for your farming business in one easy-to-manage policy package.
Local independent agents can help you review your many coverage options so that you are able to make informed decisions as you customize your farm insurance policy. These agents can also advise you about the risks you are likely to face as a farmer in the Clinton area, and they can make sure you are getting competitively priced coverage against each of these hazards.
Clinton Farm Insurance Covers against Liability Risks
As with all businesses, farms present a number of liability risks. That is why all farm insurance policies include liability coverage as a standard part of their coverage. Farm liability insurance can pay for your court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. The following are some examples of farm liability coverage that is available to you:
- Premises liability insurance: This can pay for damage and injuries suffered by visitors, guests, or customers if they are involved in an accident while on your farm or ranch property.
- Product liability insurance: This can pay for illnesses, injuries, or other damage sustained by consumers due to a defect or contamination in a product that your farm produces or sells.
- Workers’ compensation insurance: South Carolina requires you to cover the agricultural workers at your farm if you have at least four employees and spend at least $3,000 a year paying them. Workers’ compensation can cover the cost of medical treatment and lost wages if your workers are injured on the job.
An independent insurance agent can help you review these and any other liability coverage options that may be a good fit for your particular farm or ranch.
Clinton Farm Insurance Covers Your Property
Severe weather events can be destructive to farm property. Farmers in the Clinton area are most likely to experience property damage caused by severe storms, high winds, hail, droughts, and fire. Fortunately, your farm insurance policy can provide coverage for your expensive farm assets against each of these perils.
Some of the property that your farm insurance policy can cover includes:
- Your home: If your family home is located on your farm property, farm insurance can replace a traditional homeowners insurance policy by providing you with coverage for the structure of your house as well as for the personal property inside it.
- Your outbuildings: Farm insurance can cover the structure and contents of the other buildings on your farm, including garages, sheds, stables, barns, silos, and other storage facilities.
- Your equipment and machinery: Farm insurance can pay to repair or replace your farm equipment and machinery if it is damaged by a covered event. Covered machinery includes tractors, balers, plows, cultivators, and sprayers.
- Your animals: If you raise any kind of livestock on your farm, livestock insurance can provide coverage if you sustain a large loss due to hazards like a fire, flood, animal attack, or loading and unloading mishaps.
Floods also pose a risk in Clinton and surrounding areas, particularly in the wake of a hurricane or tropical storm. To ensure that your home and property are fully covered against overflow events, you should be sure to add flood insurance to your farm insurance policy package. A local independent insurance agent can help you secure an affordable policy.
Clinton Farm Insurance Offers Many Additional Coverage Options
Insurance companies enable you to customize your farm insurance policy by choosing only the coverage that makes sense for your particular farm or ranch. There are a number of different policy options that you may want to consider, such as:
- Equipment breakdown insurance: Unlike property insurance, which would cover damage sustained by your farm equipment, equipment breakdown insurance covers repairs if your important farm machinery malfunctions. If a repair will take a long time, this insurance can even cover the cost of renting comparable equipment so you can keep your farm operations running smoothly.
- Specialized property insurance: The standard property coverage in your farm insurance policy will have certain exclusions for some types of property. Fortunately, you can purchase endorsements to cover these things. Specialized coverage is available for property such as electric fences, livestock feed, and irrigation systems.
- Debris removal insurance: Severe weather events can result in extensivedebris from fallen trees or damaged buildings. You can buy coverage that will pay for the cost of timely clean-up. That way, your farm can get back to its normal day-to-day operations as quickly as possible.
- Farm income insurance: When disaster strikes, it can result in much lower than expected profits for your farm or ranch. For many small farm owners, this can be devastating. Fortunately, farm income insurance is designed to make up the difference between expected and actual profits if your farm’s operations are hindered by a covered event.
Talk to an independent agent near you to learn more about these and other coverage offerings that are available to you. Your insurance agent can help you decide which options are right for your farm business.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Clinton, SC?
Independent insurance agents who live and work in the Clinton area are familiar with the risks that farmers in northwestern South Carolina face. They can help you find a suitable farm insurance policy that offers protection against all of the hazards that can threaten your bottom line.
Also, because they are not tied to a particular insurance company, these agents can shop around to ensure you are getting your coverage at a great price. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more about your options when it comes to farm and ranch insurance.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.