The small town of Pierre, SD, has a population of roughly 13,867 residents. When you own a company here, there are several coverages you'll need to avoid financial ruin, and workers' compensation insurance is one of them.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help you get a policy that won't break the bank. They do the heavy lifting for you and compare with multiple markets at once. Connect with a local expert for coverage details.
What Are the Basics of Workers' Compensation Laws in SD?
If you self-insure in South Dakota, you make up part of the 4.47 million dollars in benefits paid on your own. The majority of states require you to carry workers' compensation coverage regardless of your financial status. In South Dakota, every operation that has one or more employees must obtain insurance. Check out what it protects.
- Workers' compensation insurance: Pays for an employee's injury or illness resulting from doing their job. It may also have coverage for disability and even death.
Where Can You Purchase Coverage in Pierre, SD?
In Pierre, SD, there are three different ways you can obtain workers' compensation insurance. Two of them are best purchased through a licensed professional. Take a look at your options regarding workers' compensation insurance.
- You can purchase workers' compensation through a private market. Local professionals represent these carriers, and they have options on policy and premiums.
- If you meet specific financial criteria, you can self-insure. This means a group of employers pool their funds to offer coverage to their staff.
- The last resort is through the assigned risk market. This group of companies will write your workers' compensation policy with a higher rate and usually lower coverage. It can only be utilized when two other private carriers have denied you.
In Pierre, SD, your workers' compensation premium must be at a certain amount to qualify for an Experience Modification Factor (X-mod). An X-mod is figured by the claims your report and expected claims to come. It works like this.
- When you have an X-mod of 1.0, it doesn't affect your premium. Every employer will start with a 1.0 X-mod, and it's the baseline.
- When you have an X-mod greater than 1.0, it is considered a debit mod. That means you had losses, and your premiums will increase.
- When you have an X-mod less than 1.0, it is the credit mod. This is the best spot because your loss history was better than expected, and you get lower premiums because of it.
What Does Workers' Compensation Cover in Pierre, SD?
Your Pierre, SD, workers' compensation insurance will protect your business from financial ruin. Claims can go on for months or longer and drain your cash flow. The right coverage is necessary to be adequately protected. Check out what a workers' compensation policy can cover.
- Disability insurance
- The death benefit to a surviving family
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
Who Does Workers' Compensation Cover in Pierre, SD?
Your Pierre workers' compensation, commercial vehicle insurance, and more can not only protect your operation, but others as well. A contractor that you hire can technically file a claim on your policies. To avoid a loss, it's good practice to require proof of insurance from all outside workers. Take a look at some of the people your workers' compensation policy can insure.
- W-2 employees
- Non-exempt owners, partners, members, and officers
- 1099 contractors
How Much Does Pierre, SD, Workers' Compensation Cost?
Every commercial insurance policy you own will have different premiums. Your personal data and risk factors will determine your pricing. Check out some items the companies consider when deciding your workers' compensation costs in Pierre, SD.
- Classification codes: These are determined by how dangerous your job duty is. The more risk involved with your task, the more premiums you'll pay.
- Loss history: Your loss history will affect your premiums. The frequency and longevity of your claims, the more expensive your costs will be.
- Experience level: The longer you have workers' compensation coverage, the better policy and rates you will get.
All classification codes are given a base rate range. The National Council of Compensation Insurance (NCCI) sets the base rate per classification code or job type. Check out some examples of base rate ranges per $100 of employer payroll.
- 0035 Farms-Planting & harvesting - $1.81 low rate / $3.34 high rate
- 0042 Landscaping service - $3.05 low rate / $5.64 high rate
- 0106 Tree trimming - $6.80 low rate / $12.57 high rate
- 0917 Residential cleaning service - $3.69 low rate / $6.82 high rate
- 2121 Breweries-Craft beers - $0.74 low rate / $1.37 high rate
- 2143 Winery-Wine makers - $1.46 low rate / $2.70 high rate
- 2585 Carpet cleaning - $2.35 low rate / $4.34 high rate
- 2589 Dry cleaning services - $1.49 low rate / $2.75 high rate
- 3632 Machine shop - $1.65 low rate / $3.05 high rate
- 5022 Masonry construction - $5.56 low rate / $10.27 high rate
Most Common Workers' Compensation Claims in South Dakota
South Dakota has 964.47 million dollars in workers' compensation benefits paid by state and federal programs. The chance that a claim will happen for your company is high. Common workers' compensation losses are due to slips and falls or lacerations. Take a look at the top items that will help reduce injury or illness on the job site.
- Hold regular safety meetings with staff
- Assign a safety officer to keep guidelines monitored and abided by
- Be proactive in workplace safety measures to avoid injury or illness
- Have posted safety protocols for all to see and follow
- Have a risk consultant review your business policies and safety measures
How a Pierre, SD, Independent Agent Can Help
If you're searching for adequate protection in Pierre, SD, there are several options. When it comes to protecting your livelihood from extinction, you'll want the best of the best. Workers' compensation insurance is essential when it comes to meeting state requirements.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help with premium and coverage choices that will fit your budget. They do the shopping while you run your business. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com for your quotes today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.