With its relaxing atmosphere and beautiful coastline, its no wonder Virginia Beach is the biggest city in the state. Whether you have decided to make it your home, or just bought a vacation house, you’ll need a top-quality homeowners insurance policy to protect it.
An independent agent makes this process easy. They aren’t limited to one insurance company, so an agent will do the comparison shopping for you. Whether you want to purchase a new policy or review your current coverage, an independent insurance agent will help.
How Much Is Homeowners Insurance Going to Cost in Virginia Beach, VA?
- National annual average premium: $1,092
- Virginia annual average premium: $1,051
- Virginia Beach annual average premium: $2,022
Virginia Beach premiums tend to range a bit higher than the state average. But don’t worry, with an independent agent you’ll easily be able to find a policy that won’t break the budget. Insurance companies use various calculations about you to figure out your rate.
- Claim record: The frequency of your claim history will translate into higher rates.
- Location of home: Expect to pay a higher premium if you live in an area prone to natural disasters, or a neighborhood with a high crime rate.
- Materials, condition and the age of your home: A home that is old and not well-maintained will have a higher rate than a newer home. Also, if your house is made from flammable materials, expect a higher premium.
You may also qualify for home insurance discounts for an updated security system, or if you have recently remodeled. An independent agent will help you figure out if you qualify for lower rates.
Virginia Beach Property Crime Rate
- National burglary rate per 1,000: 3.76
- Virginia Beach burglary rate per 1,000: 1.30
With such a low crime rate, you may think that you don’t need to be worried about property crime. Being prepared for an unforeseen event with comprehensive homeowners insurance is always a good idea. In the unfortunate event that your property does get broken into, you’ll be reimbursed quickly, which makes it one less thing you must worry about.
What Will Your Virginia Beach, VA Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Your basic homeowners insurance provides financial protection against loss due to disasters, theft, and accidents. Your homeowners insurance policy should include these types of coverages:
- Coverage for the structure of your home: If your home is damaged or destroyed by a covered disaster, your policy will pay to repair or rebuild.
- Liability protection: If you or other family members cause bodily injury or property damage, this will cover you against lawsuits. This also includes your pets.
- Coverage for your personal belongings: Your policy usually covers up to 50%-70% of all furniture and personal belongings that you lost because of an insured event.
- Coverage for additional living expenses: This will pay for the additional costs of living if your house becomes inhabitable. It includes hotel bills, eating out, and laundry services. This is covered until your home can be lived in again.
Do Your Home Insurance Cover Flooding?
Unfortunately, your homeowners insurance will not cover damage from flooding. Where this coastal city is located, added to heavy rains, often results in major flooding. Protect your home and belongings with a flood insurance policy. This policy will cover:
- Your home and its foundation
- Electrical and plumbing systems
- Kitchen appliances (refrigerator, stove, and other built-ins)
- Debris removal
How Much Homeowners Insurance Coverage Do You Need in Virginia Beach, VA?
This will depend on the value of your home and your possessions. Your policy usually has limited coverage. It’s a good idea to make sure you have enough coverage to:
- Reimburse your living expenses while you can’t live in your home
- Rebuild your home
- Cover injuries and damage that happen on your property
- Replace your belongings
An independent agent can help you calculate how much coverage you need. When disaster strikes, the right amount of coverage will make you feel secure knowing you won’t be hit financially.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance in Virginia Beach, VA
With its gorgeous coastline and relaxing atmosphere, Virginia Beach is an ideal place to purchase a second or vacation home. Your secondary residence may require more insurance than your primary home. An independent agent can talk to you about the kind of coverage you need, since these homes are often vacant or rented out.
How to Find Affordable Homeowners Insurance in Virginia Beach, VA
Your Virginia Beach home is probably your biggest investment, which is why you can’t afford to be underinsured. An independent insurance agent will help you get competitive quotes and answer all your question about coverage. Chat with an agent to get started.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.