There are few places as peaceful and tranquil as the corner of the Florida Gulf Coast. Fort Myers, FL is a growing community because of the allure of the good life on the edge of the Everglades. But to take advantage of everything that the area has to offer, you need to have a car to get around. Having a car means buying car insurance as well because it is required by state law.
More than just required by law, however, car insurance protects you against the liabilities resulting from an accident. Your Independent Insurance Agent can help you navigate the requirements made by law and your lifestyle to find the best coverage. By obtaining multiple quotes from many agencies, you can find the Fort Myers car insurance that fits your needs at the lowest cost. Car insurance can be very expensive in Florida:
- On average, car insurance premiums cost $1,311 per year in the U.S.
- In Florida the average is $1,742 every year.
- The Sunshine State ranks fifth overall in car insurance cost.
- In recent years, there were $19,737,799 in losses claimed in Florida.
Good car insurance is about much more than keeping your car looking like new. The liability you take on by driving includes the nearly unlimited potential medical costs incurred by someone injured in an accident as well as damage to property. Your insurance covers this liability so that you can drive with confidence.
Florida Car Insurance Requirements
There are liability coverage minimums required by state law in Florida. These are the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $10,000 per person covered and a minimum of $20,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $20,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $10,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Florida, but it is important for reasons discussed below.
You may also choose to have what’s called “comprehensive coverage,” which takes care of most damage done to your car for things like storms, vandalism, and theft. It’s a bit more expensive, but it is the best way to keep your car running its best no matter what happens.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Florida
When shopping around for Fort Myers auto insurance, it’s important to take into account the very high number of uninsured drivers. If you are in an accident that isn’t your fault, uninsured motorist coverage takes care of you even if the person responsible has no protection.
- Across the U.S., 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Florida, the figure is an incredible 23.8%.
This is why uninsured motorist protection is an important part of car insurance in Fort Myers. Without it, you may be stuck with the cost of an accident that is not your fault.
Number of Auto Thefts in Florida
Auto theft is surprisingly uncommon in Florida.
- The U.S. average was 2.94 thefts per 1,000 cars in recent years.
- In Florida, the rate is 2.46 per 1,000 cars.
While auto theft is not a particularly bad problem, it’s important to be insured against it. Some makes and models are more heavily targeted by thieves, so if you are thinking about buying a new car, you may want to find out what it will cost to insure before deciding. You can also keep your potential loss to a minimum by being careful where you park and making use of your car alarm.
Find a Great Fort Myers Car Insurance Policy
Insuring a vehicle in Fort Myers is not difficult, but there are requirements and choices that you will have to navigate to find the coverage that is best for you. Talk to your agent to get multiple quotes from several companies so that you can compare and pick the most affordable policy that fits your budget.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.