Fort Myers, FL is a growing community on the edge of the Everglades. To get the most out of everything the area has to offer, it helps to have a car to get around. Having a car means buying car insurance as well, because it is required by state law.
Car insurance protects you against the liabilities resulting from an accident. Your independent insurance agent can help you navigate the requirements made by law and your lifestyle to find the best car insurance in Fort Myers, FL.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Fort Myers, FL?
By obtaining multiple car insurance quotes in Fort Myers, you can find a car insurance policy that fits your needs at the lowest cost. Car insurance can be very expensive in Florida.
- On average, car insurance premiums cost $1,311 per year in the U.S.
- In Florida, the average is $1,742 every year.
- The Sunshine State ranks fifth overall in car insurance cost.
- In recent years, there were $14,573,433,000 in losses claimed in Florida.
Good car insurance is about much more than keeping your car looking like new. The liability you take on by driving includes the nearly unlimited potential medical costs incurred by someone injured in an accident as well as damage to property. Your insurance covers this liability so that you can drive with confidence.
What Car Insurance Coverage Is Required in Fort Myers, FL?
Every state has required coverage for drivers. Florida is one of the few states that does not require bodily injury liability coverage, but there are other liability coverage minimums required by state law. Drivers must have the following coverage:
- Property damage liability: The state requires a minimum of $10,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal injury protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $10,000 in protection against injury.
For many drivers, $10,000 is not efficient enough coverage if you have to file a claim. It's best to work with your agent to discuss your policy limits to assure you have enough coverage for your vehicle and the way you use your vehicle.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Car Insurance Cover in Fort Myers, FL?
In addition to the required minimums, there are several additional coverages that Fort Myers drivers should consider purchasing to have complete protection.
- Bodily injury liability: This pays for any medical expenses of others if you're in an accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Florida is a no-fault state, which means insurance will step in if there's an accident, regardless of who was at fault. Uninsured motorist coverage will pay for claims in excess of primary coverage. In Florida, 26.7% of drivers are uninsured.
- Comprehensive coverage: Takes care of non-collision damage done to your car from things like storms, vandalism, and theft.
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Gap insurance: If you're buying a new vehicle, gap coverage pays if your vehicle is totaled and you owe more on the car than its worth.
- Towing and roadside assistance coverage: This covers the cost of assistance if your car breaks down while on the road and needs repair or towing.
Are Auto Thefts Common in Fort Myers, FL?
- The US average was 2.29 thefts per 1,000 vehicles.
- In Florida, the rate is 1.93 per 1,000 vehicles.
While auto theft is not a particularly frequent problem, it’s important to be insured against it. Some makes and models are more heavily targeted by thieves, so if you are thinking about buying a new car, you may want to find out what it will cost to insure before deciding. You can also keep your potential loss to a minimum by being careful where you park and making use of your car alarm.
What Are the Best Fort Myers, FL Car Insurance Companies?
Agents partner with numerous insurance companies so you have a multitude of options when shopping for policies. When searching for coverage, it's important to consider premium costs, available discounts, and reputation.
Once you begin looking at the best car insurance companies in Florida your agent can advise you on the reputation of different carriers and help determine which policy is best for you.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find the Best Car Insurance in Fort Myers, FL?
Insuring a vehicle in Fort Myers is not difficult, but there are requirements and choices that you will have to navigate to find the coverage that is best for you. Talking with an independent insurance agent, you can get multiple quotes from several companies so that you can compare and pick the most affordable policy that fits your budget.
Contact an insurance agent near you, free of charge, to start discussing your car insurance needs.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.