Even the best drivers can sometimes get into car accidents, especially in the winter when road conditions can be hazardous. That's why vehicle owners in Central City are required to have car insurance. From collisions on Western Kentucky Parkway to fender benders on Everly Brothers Boulevard, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large accident-related expenses.
Independent insurance agents in Central City make shopping for the best car insurance easy and stress-free. These agents can explain your various options and can provide you with a selection of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you're getting a great policy at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
What Are Kentucky’s Minimum Car Insurance Requirements?
If you are responsible for a car accident, you are responsible for medical expenses and property damage losses you cause to others. Liability insurance is designed to cover these costs. Kentucky is a no-fault state, so the other driver’s personal injury protection (PIP) insurance will cover their medical bills up to a certain amount before your responsibilities kick in.
In Kentucky, your car insurance must include, at a minimum, the following:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $10,000 in property damage liability per accident
- $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) insurance
If you cause an accident that involves serious injuries or significant property damage, your liability costs can very easily exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. In that case, you would be required to make up the difference out of pocket. That's why many people choose to purchase higher liability limits than the state requires.
If you want to have even more liability coverage than your Central City car insurance policy will allow, you can also look into umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to significantly increase all of your liability coverage. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about the benefits of an umbrella insurance policy.
What Else Can Central City Car insurance Cover?
In addition to the requirements listed above, you can purchase optional insurance coverage including:
- Collision insurance: This pays for the cost to repair collision-related damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. This may be required by your lender if you're still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair non-collision damage to your vehicle. This may be required by your lender if you're still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This pays for damage and medical treatment costs that go beyond what your PIP insurance will cover if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. (Despite harsh penalties imposed by the state, around 11.5% of all drivers in Kentucky are uninsured.)
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This can pay for the costs associated with receiving assistance if your vehicle breaks down while you're out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement insurance: This can pay for you to get a rental car while your car is in the garage being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about your various coverage options and to find out how much each will cost to add to your policy.
Does Central City Car Insurance Cover Auto Thefts?
The good news is that incidents of auto theft are rare in Central City. There are only three car thefts reported in this city in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Kentucky auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.23
- Central City auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.09
Of course, you probably drive your car to other parts of the country sometimes, and some of these places may not be as safe. It is important to be aware that your car insurance won't cover you against auto theft unless you have comprehensive coverage included in your policy.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just vehicle theft. It can also cover other non-collision damage such as that caused by hazards like floods, fallen trees, garage fires, and vandalism. Talk to an independent insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to include this optional coverage in your auto insurance policy.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Central City, KY?
The good news is that rates for car insurance in Central City tend to be on the lower side. This is great news for area residents looking for affordable auto insurance coverage.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Kentucky average annual car insurance cost: $1,341
- Central City, KY average annual car insurance cost: $755
Of course, car insurance rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so these figures only offer a ballpark idea of what your actual costs might be. Insurance companies will base your rates on a number of different factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The approximate number of miles you drive each year
- Which, if any, coverage options you include in your policy
- How much coverage you are purchasing and the amount of your deductible
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
You are likely to get much lower rates if you have a long, safe driving record. You can also get policy discounts if you bundle your coverage with another policy like homeowners insurance or renters insurance. Independent insurance agents can make sure that you get any discounts you are entitled to and that the policy you purchase is offered at a competitive price.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Central City, KY?
As a vehicle owner in Central City, you can turn to a local independent insurance agent for help when you're looking for a car insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with several different insurance companies so they can obtain a variety of customized car insurance quotes that you can review together.
Contact an insurance agent with an office in Central City to get started with your search for the best car insurance coverage.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.